Re: ... head will explode

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2004
      Thank you, Bhikkhu Pesala,

      I am familiar with this passage, and it seems to be close to what I
      was looking for.

      Here it says:
      cattaarimaani bhikkhave acinteyyaani, na cintetabbaani; yaani
      cintento
      ummaadassa vighaatassa bhaagii assa.

      Which I translate roughly as:
      There are these four imponderables, monks, that are not to be
      thought about; for one thinking about them would be one bestowed
      with madness and vexation.

      This came up in a discussion with some friends and we seem to
      remember somewhere it being said that "one's head would explode",
      but can't remember where. Is there somewhere else in the canon
      where these imponderables are discussed more graphically?

      John

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhikkhu Pesala" <pesala@a...> wrote:
      > Anguttaranikaaya, catukkanipaata, apa.n.nakavaggo, Acinteyyasuttam
      (Ro 2.
      > 80)
      >
      > cattaarimaani bhikkhave acinteyyaani, na cintetabbaani; yaani
      cintento
      > ummaadassa vighaatassa bhaagii assa. Katamaani cattaari?
      Buddhaanama
      > bhikkhave buddhavisayo acinteyyo, na cintetabbo, yam cintento
      ummaadassa
      > vighaatassa bhaagii assa. Jhaayissa ... Kammavipaako bhikkhave ...
      > Lokacintaa bhikkhave na cintetabbo, yam cintento ummaadassa
      vighaatassa
      > bhaagii assa.
    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2004
        Hi John,

        There are a number of passages in the Tipi.taka similar to "one's head
        would explode". Typically, the Pali for this reads: "muddhaapi tassa
        vipateyya" (his head would split asunder). According to a quick CSCD
        search the phrase occurs 23 times in the Suttantapi.taka--mostly in
        the Diighanikaaya (18 times). I couldn't tell you if any of them are
        related to the four imponderables though, sorry.

        Best wishes,
        Jim

        > This came up in a discussion with some friends and we seem to
        > remember somewhere it being said that "one's head would explode",
        > but can't remember where. Is there somewhere else in the canon
        > where these imponderables are discussed more graphically?
        >
        > John
      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004
          Hi Jim,

          Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I
          couldn't figure out what paali phrase I needed to search for, so
          couldn't find it myself.

          Metta to you,
          John
          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jimanderson_on@y...>