Re: ... head will explode

  • Bhikkhu Pesala
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4 9:27 PM
      Anguttaranikaaya, catukkanipaata, apa.n.nakavaggo, Acinteyyasuttam (Ro 2.
      80)

      cattaarimaani bhikkhave acinteyyaani, na cintetabbaani; yaani cintento
      ummaadassa vighaatassa bhaagii assa. Katamaani cattaari? Buddhaanama
      bhikkhave buddhavisayo acinteyyo, na cintetabbo, yam cintento ummaadassa
      vighaatassa bhaagii assa. Jhaayissa ... Kammavipaako bhikkhave ...
      Lokacintaa bhikkhave na cintetabbo, yam cintento ummaadassa vighaatassa
      bhaagii assa.
    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5 7:57 AM
        Thank you, Bhikkhu Pesala,

        I am familiar with this passage, and it seems to be close to what I
        was looking for.

        Here it says:
        cattaarimaani bhikkhave acinteyyaani, na cintetabbaani; yaani
        cintento
        ummaadassa vighaatassa bhaagii assa.

        Which I translate roughly as:
        There are these four imponderables, monks, that are not to be
        thought about; for one thinking about them would be one bestowed
        with madness and vexation.

        This came up in a discussion with some friends and we seem to
        remember somewhere it being said that "one's head would explode",
        but can't remember where. Is there somewhere else in the canon
        where these imponderables are discussed more graphically?

        John

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhikkhu Pesala" <pesala@a...> wrote:
        > Anguttaranikaaya, catukkanipaata, apa.n.nakavaggo, Acinteyyasuttam
        (Ro 2.
        > 80)
        >
        > cattaarimaani bhikkhave acinteyyaani, na cintetabbaani; yaani
        cintento
        > ummaadassa vighaatassa bhaagii assa. Katamaani cattaari?
        Buddhaanama
        > bhikkhave buddhavisayo acinteyyo, na cintetabbo, yam cintento
        ummaadassa
        > vighaatassa bhaagii assa. Jhaayissa ... Kammavipaako bhikkhave ...
        > Lokacintaa bhikkhave na cintetabbo, yam cintento ummaadassa
        vighaatassa
        > bhaagii assa.
      • Jim Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5 5:38 PM
          Hi John,

          There are a number of passages in the Tipi.taka similar to "one's head
          would explode". Typically, the Pali for this reads: "muddhaapi tassa
          vipateyya" (his head would split asunder). According to a quick CSCD
          search the phrase occurs 23 times in the Suttantapi.taka--mostly in
          the Diighanikaaya (18 times). I couldn't tell you if any of them are
          related to the four imponderables though, sorry.

          Best wishes,
          Jim

          > This came up in a discussion with some friends and we seem to
          > remember somewhere it being said that "one's head would explode",
          > but can't remember where. Is there somewhere else in the canon
          > where these imponderables are discussed more graphically?
          >
          > John
        • John Kelly
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 6 9:20 AM
            Hi Jim,

            Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I
            couldn't figure out what paali phrase I needed to search for, so
            couldn't find it myself.

            Metta to you,
            John
            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jimanderson_on@y...>