... head will explode

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004

      Does anyone know the source of the quote where the
      Buddha said that when trying to figure out the answer
      to any of the four imponderables "one would go mad and
      one's head would explode"?

      I would appreciate any help that could be offered.

      Thanks,
      John
    • Bhikkhu Pesala
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2004
        Anguttaranikaaya, catukkanipaata, apa.n.nakavaggo, Acinteyyasuttam (Ro 2.
        80)

        cattaarimaani bhikkhave acinteyyaani, na cintetabbaani; yaani cintento
        ummaadassa vighaatassa bhaagii assa. Katamaani cattaari? Buddhaanama
        bhikkhave buddhavisayo acinteyyo, na cintetabbo, yam cintento ummaadassa
        vighaatassa bhaagii assa. Jhaayissa ... Kammavipaako bhikkhave ...
        Lokacintaa bhikkhave na cintetabbo, yam cintento ummaadassa vighaatassa
        bhaagii assa.
      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2004
          Thank you, Bhikkhu Pesala,

          I am familiar with this passage, and it seems to be close to what I
          was looking for.

          Here it says:
          cattaarimaani bhikkhave acinteyyaani, na cintetabbaani; yaani
          cintento
          ummaadassa vighaatassa bhaagii assa.

          Which I translate roughly as:
          There are these four imponderables, monks, that are not to be
          thought about; for one thinking about them would be one bestowed
          with madness and vexation.

          This came up in a discussion with some friends and we seem to
          remember somewhere it being said that "one's head would explode",
          but can't remember where. Is there somewhere else in the canon
          where these imponderables are discussed more graphically?

          John

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhikkhu Pesala" <pesala@a...> wrote:
          > Anguttaranikaaya, catukkanipaata, apa.n.nakavaggo, Acinteyyasuttam
          (Ro 2.
          > 80)
          >
          > cattaarimaani bhikkhave acinteyyaani, na cintetabbaani; yaani
          cintento
          > ummaadassa vighaatassa bhaagii assa. Katamaani cattaari?
          Buddhaanama
          > bhikkhave buddhavisayo acinteyyo, na cintetabbo, yam cintento
          ummaadassa
          > vighaatassa bhaagii assa. Jhaayissa ... Kammavipaako bhikkhave ...
          > Lokacintaa bhikkhave na cintetabbo, yam cintento ummaadassa
          vighaatassa
          > bhaagii assa.
        • Jim Anderson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5, 2004
            Hi John,

            There are a number of passages in the Tipi.taka similar to "one's head
            would explode". Typically, the Pali for this reads: "muddhaapi tassa
            vipateyya" (his head would split asunder). According to a quick CSCD
            search the phrase occurs 23 times in the Suttantapi.taka--mostly in
            the Diighanikaaya (18 times). I couldn't tell you if any of them are
            related to the four imponderables though, sorry.

            Best wishes,
            Jim

            > This came up in a discussion with some friends and we seem to
            > remember somewhere it being said that "one's head would explode",
            > but can't remember where. Is there somewhere else in the canon
            > where these imponderables are discussed more graphically?
            >
            > John
          • John Kelly
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 6, 2004
              Hi Jim,

              Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I
              couldn't figure out what paali phrase I needed to search for, so
              couldn't find it myself.

              Metta to you,
              John
              --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Anderson" <jimanderson_on@y...>