Re: Pali equivalent ?

  • Stephen Hodge
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
      Dhammanando Bhikkhu wrote:

      > Does the term refer to the belief in fortune (or omens) rather than
      > kamma? If so, then I expect it would be derived from the
      > kotuuhala-ma`ngalika mentioned in the Ca.n.daala Sutta (A iii 206).

      Thank you, bhante, for the reference. Yes, this looks as if it is the same
      term under a slihhtly different guise. As you suggest, it refers to the
      belief that one's experiences are determinded by omens and similar instead
      of karma. My passage says:

      "... and all those which accord with the theories concerning auspicious
      omens, namely those which claim to generate auspicious omens and clear away
      harm with regards the acquisition of an object of desire by means of the
      spells and burnt-offerings of astrologers and diviners, and similarly those
      which claim to bring about auspicious and inauspicious omens."

      Of course, it is surprising how strong this belief remains today among many
      members of soceity.

      Best wishes,
      Stephen Hodge