Re: [Pali] respect for the Vinaya.

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
      Dear Paul,
      Your teacher must be very young, not knowing much about world war II. I do
      not feel annoyed about this, no reproaches at all, but I just would like to
      explain matters a little. This is very hurtful for those who have lost
      family members. I am concerned for their feelings. It is not a subject for
      joking.
      When my husband was an ambassador in Vienna we went each year to Mauthausen
      for the commemoration ceremonies. He had seen to it that also a monument for
      the Dutch was built and it was inaugurated by a rabbi and two cantors. When
      you would see all those names of those who died in that camp. The cantors
      sang the Kaddish (prayer for the dead). You would understand if you heard
      once the Kaddish, it is piercing to the heart. All the dukkha of life is
      expressed here. I do not want to say more about this delicate matter.
      I have more and more respect and admiration for the Vinaya which is also
      good for laypeople, to be applied in their own situation. The monks are not
      supposed to tease each other or to joke, even when it seems to be very
      innocent. It is also frivolous, useless talk. And what do we know about
      others' experiences in the past? What do we know about others' cittas? I
      know it is tempting to join in a joke, we are laypeople after all, but it is
      a small sacrifice to swallow it when considering the feelings of others, the
      disadvantages.
      Nina.