ahudeva

  • cheangoo@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 9, 2001
      Hi there,

      Can anyone out there help me with the word "ahudeva" in the
      following line from La.tukikopamasutta [M.N. 66]
      'i.ngha tumhe, bhikkhave, eta.m divaavikaalabhojana.m pajahathaa'ti.
      Tassa mayha.m, bhante, ahudeva a-n-nathatta.m, ahudeva domanassa.m -

      Thanks,
      Khaik-Cheang Oo
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 10, 2001
        Cheang Oo,

        Let me try to give a bit of amateur help:

        ahudeva = ahu (aor.) + eva, "there was indeed"
        eva is usually left untranslated here.

        Earlier in the same paragraph, we have "Ahu kho so bhante samayo", "There was a time,
        Venerable Sir..."

        P.

      • cheangoo@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 11, 2001
          Thanks, Piya

          I guess the aorist of huu is very irregular. Bopth PED and Warder
          (pg 26) give the sorist of atthi/asmi as: 1st sg = aasi.m or ahosi.m
          3rd and 2nd sg. = ahosi

          Mettaa,
          Khaik-Cheang Oo

          In Pali@y..., Piya Tan <libris@s...> wrote:
          > Cheang Oo,
          >
          > Let me try to give a bit of amateur help:
          >
          > ahudeva = ahu (aor.) + eva, "there was indeed"
          > eva is usually left untranslated here.
          >
          > Earlier in the same paragraph, we have "Ahu kho so bhante
          samayo", "There was a time,
          > Venerable Sir..."
          >
          > P.
          >
          > cheangoo@h... wrote:
          >
          > > Hi there,
          > >
          > > Can anyone out there help me with the word "ahudeva" in the
          > > following line from La.tukikopamasutta [M.N. 66]
          > > 'i.ngha tumhe, bhikkhave, eta.m divaavikaalabhojana.m
          pajahathaa'ti.
          > > Tassa mayha.m, bhante, ahudeva a-n-nathatta.m, ahudeva
          domanassa.m -

          > > Thanks,
          > > Khaik-Cheang Oo

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Kumara Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 12, 2001
            According to my teacher, "ahu" is another form for "ahosi". When "eva" is
            added behind, the sandhi requires a "d" in between, making it "ahudeva",
            which means something like "was indeed".

            This:
            Tassa mayha.m, bhante, ahudeva a~n~nathatta.m, ahudeva domanassa.m....
            can be rather literally translated as
            To me, bhante, there was change (of mind), there was grief....
            Bhikkhu Bodhi quite skillfully made it:
            Venerable Sir, I was upset and sad....

            As Piya pointed out, the emphatic "eva" is usually left untranslated.

            peace

            Kumaara Bhikkhu
            another amateur

            > I guess the aorist of huu is very irregular. Bopth PED and Warder
            > (pg 26) give the sorist of atthi/asmi as: 1st sg = aasi.m or ahosi.m
            > 3rd and 2nd sg. = ahosi
            >
            > Mettaa,
            > Khaik-Cheang Oo
            >
            > In Pali@y..., Piya Tan <libris@s...> wrote:
            > > Cheang Oo,
            > >
            > > Let me try to give a bit of amateur help:
            > >
            > > ahudeva = ahu (aor.) + eva, "there was indeed"
            > > eva is usually left untranslated here.
            > >
            > > Earlier in the same paragraph, we have "Ahu kho so bhante
            > samayo", "There was a time,
            > > Venerable Sir..."
            > >
            > > P.
            > >
            > > cheangoo@h... wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hi there,
            > > >
            > > > Can anyone out there help me with the word "ahudeva" in the
            > > > following line from La.tukikopamasutta [M.N. 66]
            > > > 'i.ngha tumhe, bhikkhave, eta.m divaavikaalabhojana.m
            > pajahathaa'ti.
            > > > Tassa mayha.m, bhante, ahudeva a-n-nathatta.m, ahudeva
            > domanassa.m -
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Khaik-Cheang Oo
          • Peter Masefield
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 13, 2001
              Kumara Bhikkhu wrote:

              > As Piya pointed out, the emphatic "eva" is usually left untranslated.

              Maybe some people do leave the particle eva untranslated, but the real question is
              whether, when they do, they are correct to do so.

              Although the commentaries frequently dismiss certain minor particles, especially in
              verses (where they are often used for "padding out the words" to fit the metre),
              stating that that particle concerned is "a mere particle" (nipaatamatta.m), I have
              never seen such dismissal in the case of eva; and, as a matter of fact, I invariably
              do translate the particle eva, since it is a very important, and useful, particle.

              Its meanings are varied, depending on the context in which it appears, with result
              that "x-eva" can denote such ideas as "that same x", "x itself", "already x",
              "simply x", "x alone" and so on.

              In the case in point it probably means "For that same I (tassa mayha.m), Lord
              (bhante), there most certainly/indeed was (ahu-d-eva)…" or, alternatively, "For that
              same I (tassa mayha.m), Lord (bhante), there was simply (ahu-d-eva)…".

              Peter Masefield.
            • Kumaara Bhikkhu
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 17, 2001
                That does sound reasonable.

                I suppose Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi could have translated it as:
                Venerable Sir, I was *quite* upset and sad....

                metta,
                Ven K