Re: [Pali] Re: over(?)confidence in one's own views

  • Benjamin Jerome
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
      Dear people who know Pali,

      Could someone please translate the following passage?
      I tried to translate it but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.

      Seyyathaapi bhikkhave appamattakopi guutho duggandho hoti,
      evameva kho aha.m bhikkhave appamattakampi bhava.m
      na va.n.nemi, antamaso accharaasa.nghaatamattampiiti

      Ben
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004

        >Could someone please translate the following passage?
        >I tried to translate it but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.
        >

        >Seyyathaapi bhikkhave appamattakopi guutho duggandho hoti,
        >evameva kho aha.m bhikkhave appamattakampi bhava.m
        >na va.n.nemi, antamaso accharaasa.nghaatamattampiiti

        Here's an attempt:

        Just as, O monks, even a tiny amount of dung has a foul smell,
        exactly so, O monks, I do not commend even a tiny amount of
        existence, even only an instant.

        What threw me for a loop first was that I kept wanting to read
        *accharaasanga.na = troop of nymphs. Those nymphs got stuck in my
        mind and kept me from turning the page of the dictionary to find
        'snap of the fingertips' :-)

        best regards,

        /Rett