Pali equivalent ?

  • Stephen Hodge
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
      Does anybody know if there is a Pali equivalent to kautuka-ma`ngala-vaada,
      one of the many false views critiqued by the Buddha ? I suspect not, but I
      may be wrong as I am not sure what the Pali for "kautuka" would be.

      Many thanks,
      Stephen Hodge
    • Dhammanando Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2004
        Stephen Hodge wrote:

        > Does anybody know if there is a Pali equivalent to
        > kautuka-ma`ngala-vaada,
        > one of the many false views critiqued by the Buddha ?

        Hi Stephen,

        Sanskrit kau should be ko or kava in Pali, but I don't think there is
        a kotuka- (or kavatuka-) ma`ngala-vaada in the Pali texts.

        Does the term refer to the belief in fortune (or omens) rather than
        kamma? If so, then I expect it would be derived from the
        kotuuhala-ma`ngalika mentioned in the Ca.n.daala Sutta (A iii 206).

        Paali:
        Pañcahi, bhikkhave, dhammehi samannaagato upaasako upaasakaca.n.daalo
        ca hoti upaasakamalañca upaasakapatiku.t.tho ca. Katamehi pañcahi?
        Assaddho hoti; dussiilo hoti; kotuuhalama`ngaliko hoti, ma`ngala.m
        pacceti no kamma.m; ito ca bahiddhaa dakkhi.neyya.m gavesati; tattha
        ca pubbakaara.m karoti.

        Commentary:
        Kotuuhalama`ngaliko' ti "iminaa ida.m bhavissatii" ti eva.m
        pavattattaa kotuuhalasa`nkhaatena di.t.thasutamutama'ngalena
        samannaagato. 'Ma`ngala.m pacceti no kamman' ti ma`ngala.m oloketi,
        kamma.m na oloketi.

        Sub-commentary:
        "Iminaa di.t.thaadinaa ida.m naama ma`ngala.m bhavissatii" ti eva.m
        baalajanaparikappitakotuuhalasa`nkhaatena di.t.thasutamutama`ngalena
        samannaagato 'kotuuhalama`ngaliko'.

        Best wishes,

        Dhammanando
      • Stephen Hodge
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
          Dhammanando Bhikkhu wrote:

          > Does the term refer to the belief in fortune (or omens) rather than
          > kamma? If so, then I expect it would be derived from the
          > kotuuhala-ma`ngalika mentioned in the Ca.n.daala Sutta (A iii 206).

          Thank you, bhante, for the reference. Yes, this looks as if it is the same
          term under a slihhtly different guise. As you suggest, it refers to the
          belief that one's experiences are determinded by omens and similar instead
          of karma. My passage says:

          "... and all those which accord with the theories concerning auspicious
          omens, namely those which claim to generate auspicious omens and clear away
          harm with regards the acquisition of an object of desire by means of the
          spells and burnt-offerings of astrologers and diviners, and similarly those
          which claim to bring about auspicious and inauspicious omens."

          Of course, it is surprising how strong this belief remains today among many
          members of soceity.

          Best wishes,
          Stephen Hodge