Not to be Missed

  • paulocuana
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2004
      OK, please excuse the blatant salesmanship but I think most of you
      will find this file to be fun! I went through Warder's Introduction
      to Pali and collected all the vocabulary verbs into an Excel
      Spreadsheet with a similar format as the table found in the back of
      the book. However, I made some additions like including all verbs
      even if the root was the same and I included definitions. One tab
      has the verbs as found in Warder and the other tab is sorted by
      root. Also, if you place your cursor over the cell you can read Dr.
      Warder's notes.

      Enjoy.

      Paul O'Cuana
      aka Paul Cooney

      PS: Ok, I found this so funny I have to tell you. I was at a
      retreat at the Bhavana Society this past weekend where a woman made
      the comment that the meditation was so painful that she wondered if
      she was in a "Nazi Concentration Camp". To which the teacher
      replied, "No this is a Buddhist Concentration Camp" :)

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3, 2004
        Dear Paul,
        Your teacher must be very young, not knowing much about world war II. I do
        not feel annoyed about this, no reproaches at all, but I just would like to
        explain matters a little. This is very hurtful for those who have lost
        family members. I am concerned for their feelings. It is not a subject for
        joking.
        When my husband was an ambassador in Vienna we went each year to Mauthausen
        for the commemoration ceremonies. He had seen to it that also a monument for
        the Dutch was built and it was inaugurated by a rabbi and two cantors. When
        you would see all those names of those who died in that camp. The cantors
        sang the Kaddish (prayer for the dead). You would understand if you heard
        once the Kaddish, it is piercing to the heart. All the dukkha of life is
        expressed here. I do not want to say more about this delicate matter.
        I have more and more respect and admiration for the Vinaya which is also
        good for laypeople, to be applied in their own situation. The monks are not
        supposed to tease each other or to joke, even when it seems to be very
        innocent. It is also frivolous, useless talk. And what do we know about
        others' experiences in the past? What do we know about others' cittas? I
        know it is tempting to join in a joke, we are laypeople after all, but it is
        a small sacrifice to swallow it when considering the feelings of others, the
        disadvantages.
        Nina.