Re: [Pali] Re: over(?)confidence in one's own views

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
      Dear Frank
      Do not worry about it that you hurt feelings. I know you are a very kind and
      sincere person who does not want to hurt anybody. It does not matter that we
      have different opinions. We know each other already longer than today, don't
      we? When there are different opinions on a forum I find it useful to
      consider and formulate for myself what my thoughts about it are. It helps to
      clarify things for oneself.
      Nina.

      op 31-03-2004 23:30 schreef fcckuan op fcckuan@...:

      A list member suggested to me privately that my original post
      > was much more offensive than even I had suspected, so I have taken
      > the measure of removing that post from the archives....
    • Benjamin Jerome
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
        Dear people who know Pali,

        Could someone please translate the following passage?
        I tried to translate it but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.

        Seyyathaapi bhikkhave appamattakopi guutho duggandho hoti,
        evameva kho aha.m bhikkhave appamattakampi bhava.m
        na va.n.nemi, antamaso accharaasa.nghaatamattampiiti

        Ben
        Do not worry about it that you hurt feelings. I know you are a very kind and
        sincere person who does not want to hurt anybody. It does not matter that we
        have different opinions. We know each other already longer than today, don't
        we? When there are different opinions on a forum I find it useful to
        consider and formulate for myself what my thoughts about it are. It helps to
        clarify things for oneself.
        Nina.

        op 31-03-2004 23:30 schreef fcckuan op fcckuan@...:

        A list member suggested to me privately that my original post
        > was much more offensive than even I had suspected, so I have taken
        > the measure of removing that post from the archives....

        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

      • paulocuana
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
          Frank,

          I for one enjoy your posts. I have been reading about Buddhism for
          years and have only recently begun meditation. The one thing I am
          convinced of is that this stuff is not for the sensitive.

          Whether it's the Suttas, the Abhidhamma or the Commentaries they are
          all part of the raft in the "Raft Simile". If one can cross over
          with only the Suttas that is fine. If one needs the Abhidhamma and
          the Commentaries to cross over then why would anyone complain?
          When all these things are to be abandoned what does it matter if a
          raft or an ocean-going ship is used.

          pag eva adhammaa
          MI 134-5

          Paul O'Cuana

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, nina van gorkom <nilo@e...> wrote:
          > Dear Frank
          > Do not worry about it that you hurt feelings. I know you are a
          very kind and
          > sincere person who does not want to hurt anybody. It does not
          matter that we
          > have different opinions. We know each other already longer than
          today, don't
          > we? When there are different opinions on a forum I find it useful
          > consider and formulate for myself what my thoughts about it are.
          It helps to
          > clarify things for oneself.
          > Nina.
          >
          > op 31-03-2004 23:30 schreef fcckuan op fcckuan@y...:
          >
          > A list member suggested to me privately that my original post
          > > was much more offensive than even I had suspected, so I have
          taken
          > > the measure of removing that post from the archives....
        • rett
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004

            >Could someone please translate the following passage?
            >I tried to translate it but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.
            >

            >Seyyathaapi bhikkhave appamattakopi guutho duggandho hoti,
            >evameva kho aha.m bhikkhave appamattakampi bhava.m
            >na va.n.nemi, antamaso accharaasa.nghaatamattampiiti

            Here's an attempt:

            Just as, O monks, even a tiny amount of dung has a foul smell,
            exactly so, O monks, I do not commend even a tiny amount of
            existence, even only an instant.

            What threw me for a loop first was that I kept wanting to read
            *accharaasanga.na = troop of nymphs. Those nymphs got stuck in my
            mind and kept me from turning the page of the dictionary to find
            'snap of the fingertips' :-)

            best regards,

            /Rett