Re: over(?)confidence in one's own views

  • christine_forsyth
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31, 2004
      Hello Frank, and all,

      Thought provoking posts Frank. If anyone is interested - there is a
      240 page Biography of the Venerable Phra Acharn Mun Bhuridatta
      Thera compiled by the Venerable Phra Acharn Maha Boowa
      Nyanasampanno, on-line at:

      http://www.geocities.com/~madg/gangessangha/Ajahn_Mun.pdf

      metta and peace,
      Christine
      ---The trouble is that you think you have time ---

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rett <rett@t...> wrote:

      > >Indeed this is a pali list, but I absolutely do not
      > >see why appreciation of the forest tradition is
      > >inappropriate for this list, and I will continue to
      > >extol the virtues of the forest tradition at every
      > >convenient opportunity.
      > >

      > Hi,
      >
      > I've enjoyed your posts, and in general I believe it must be okay
      > have differing views. And as I understand it, meditation is on-
      topic
      > for this list (point 4 below):
      >
      > >Main discussion topics:
      > >1. Tipitaka and sutta study
      > >2. Pali language and literature
      > >3. Theravada Buddhism
      > >4. Samatha and Vipassana meditation
      > >5. Sutta study tools and methodology
      > >6. Tipitaka translation theory and practice
      >
      > About studying vs practice in Thailand, I'm not sure about the case
      > you're talking about, but it's not uncommon that a forest monk has
      > studied the tipitaka very thoroughly in his youth. Sometimes they
      > have done 10-12 yrs intensive study, and then take to the forest
      > never to open a book again.
      >
      > best regards,
      >
      > /Rett
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
        Dear Frank
        Do not worry about it that you hurt feelings. I know you are a very kind and
        sincere person who does not want to hurt anybody. It does not matter that we
        have different opinions. We know each other already longer than today, don't
        we? When there are different opinions on a forum I find it useful to
        consider and formulate for myself what my thoughts about it are. It helps to
        clarify things for oneself.
        Nina.

        op 31-03-2004 23:30 schreef fcckuan op fcckuan@...:

        A list member suggested to me privately that my original post
        > was much more offensive than even I had suspected, so I have taken
        > the measure of removing that post from the archives....
      • Benjamin Jerome
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
          Dear people who know Pali,

          Could someone please translate the following passage?
          I tried to translate it but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.

          Seyyathaapi bhikkhave appamattakopi guutho duggandho hoti,
          evameva kho aha.m bhikkhave appamattakampi bhava.m
          na va.n.nemi, antamaso accharaasa.nghaatamattampiiti

          Ben
          Do not worry about it that you hurt feelings. I know you are a very kind and
          sincere person who does not want to hurt anybody. It does not matter that we
          have different opinions. We know each other already longer than today, don't
          we? When there are different opinions on a forum I find it useful to
          consider and formulate for myself what my thoughts about it are. It helps to
          clarify things for oneself.
          Nina.

          op 31-03-2004 23:30 schreef fcckuan op fcckuan@...:

          A list member suggested to me privately that my original post
          > was much more offensive than even I had suspected, so I have taken
          > the measure of removing that post from the archives....

          [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
          [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

        • paulocuana
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004
            Frank,

            I for one enjoy your posts. I have been reading about Buddhism for
            years and have only recently begun meditation. The one thing I am
            convinced of is that this stuff is not for the sensitive.

            Whether it's the Suttas, the Abhidhamma or the Commentaries they are
            all part of the raft in the "Raft Simile". If one can cross over
            with only the Suttas that is fine. If one needs the Abhidhamma and
            the Commentaries to cross over then why would anyone complain?
            When all these things are to be abandoned what does it matter if a
            raft or an ocean-going ship is used.

            pag eva adhammaa
            MI 134-5

            Paul O'Cuana

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, nina van gorkom <nilo@e...> wrote:
            > Dear Frank
            > Do not worry about it that you hurt feelings. I know you are a
            very kind and
            > sincere person who does not want to hurt anybody. It does not
            matter that we
            > have different opinions. We know each other already longer than
            today, don't
            > we? When there are different opinions on a forum I find it useful
            > consider and formulate for myself what my thoughts about it are.
            It helps to
            > clarify things for oneself.
            > Nina.
            >
            > op 31-03-2004 23:30 schreef fcckuan op fcckuan@y...:
            >
            > A list member suggested to me privately that my original post
            > > was much more offensive than even I had suspected, so I have
            taken
            > > the measure of removing that post from the archives....
          • rett
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2004

              >Could someone please translate the following passage?
              >I tried to translate it but I'm not sure if I understand it correctly.
              >

              >Seyyathaapi bhikkhave appamattakopi guutho duggandho hoti,
              >evameva kho aha.m bhikkhave appamattakampi bhava.m
              >na va.n.nemi, antamaso accharaasa.nghaatamattampiiti

              Here's an attempt:

              Just as, O monks, even a tiny amount of dung has a foul smell,
              exactly so, O monks, I do not commend even a tiny amount of
              existence, even only an instant.

              What threw me for a loop first was that I kept wanting to read
              *accharaasanga.na = troop of nymphs. Those nymphs got stuck in my
              mind and kept me from turning the page of the dictionary to find
              'snap of the fingertips' :-)

              best regards,

              /Rett