Re: [Pali] Re: Journals [was: Ledi Sayadaw]

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2001
      Yong Peng,

      Thanks for being such a conscientious Bodhisattva. I had access to countless
      journals when I was in Berkeley, but it's very difficult to get them in Singapore.
      They are valuable because, unlike books which are dated by the time they appear,
      journals articles are as current as you can get the printed word. They also present
      the most controversial and cutting-edge views of your subject of interest. And they
      are also very expensive.

      They are also tedious, as you have to rummage through the index (if there is one) to
      look for things of interest. Otherwise, it's from page to page, cover to cover.

      JIABS was at one time edited by my sponsoring professor, Prof. Lewis Lancaster in
      Berkeley.

      I remember coming across a company or website that provides connections to all the
      websites. Probably the NUS Library people know this.

      Thanks again.

      P.

      Ong Yong Peng wrote:

      > Hi Piya and friends,
      >
      > the best place to find journals is the websites of their publishers.
      >
      > 1. Philosophy East And West is published by the University of Hawaii
      > Department of Philosophy http://www.hawaii.edu/phil/ It is printed by
      > University of Hawaii Press http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/
      >
      > 2. Numen is published by the International Association for the
      > History of Religions (IAHR) http://www.iahr.dk/
      >
      > 3. JIABS is published by the International Association of Buddhist
      > Studies (IABS) http://www-orient.unil.ch/
      >
      > I am sure these journals are very valuable since you have asked the
      > group for the second time. It took me quite a while to trace them
      > down, relying on the little info. you provided. If you have more
      > titles to check out, just let me know. Journals from US and Europe
      > will usually have an online presence. However, chances are slim if
      > the journals are from West Asia.
      >
      > metta,
      > YP.
      >
      > --- Piya Tan <libris@s...> wrote:
      > > BTW could you (or anybody) tell me the best way to access those
      > learned Journals (like Philosophy East And West, Numen, JIABS, etc,
      > etc) online. I know you have to pay for them. Which is the best
      > website running this service?
      >
      > P.

    • Ven. KUMARA Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2001
        From: Piya Tan <libris@...>
        > Prof. Sumanapala (U of Kelaniya) has started with his Basic Abhidhamma
        class last
        > week. Next month (October) he will be teaching Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit
        which I have
        > long waited for. All this will be conducted at the Buddhist Library,
        Singapore.

        What, if I may ask, is "Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit"?

        metta,
        Ven K
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2001
          Venerable,

          My apologies, I thought I had answered this question.

          Anyway, Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit (BHS) is the name given by Fransklin Edgerton to a
          Middle Indic Language (to which Pali belong) used to record some early Buddhist
          teachings.

          Pali, as scholars now know, is the product of the fusion of a number of dialect and
          is a literary language (Kunstsprache) specially composed and used during the 1st
          Council to record the various teachings of the Buddha passed down to the early
          disciples.

          Another such language is a kind of popular or "vulgate" Sanskrit used by the
          Buddhist. It is not as complicated as the Vedic or Classical Sanskrit. For more
          details, please see Edgerton's Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Dictionary and Grammar vol. 1
          p 1 ff.

          P.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2001
            Hi Piya and friends,

            since we're on this topic, I've done some searching on the web and
            would like to recommend the following sites in addition to those
            already available on Tipitaka.net (under Tipitaka, Pali and Journals).
            http://www.tipitaka.net/links/main.htm

            Most full universities around the world offer courses in Buddhism,
            however not much information is available online. This applies to
            other research areas also.

            Some of the links I find useful are:

            (a) General

            1. Buddhist Studies WWW Virtual Library:
            http://www.ciolek.com/WWWVL-Buddhism.html
            2. WWW Virtual Library - Sri Lanka - Buddhism:
            http://www.lankalibrary.com/bud.html

            (b) Universities

            1. NTU Center for Buddhist Studies:
            http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/
            They have a list of journals:
            http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/e-journal.htm
            2. UCB Buddhist Research Society:
            http://ishi.lib.berkeley.edu/buddhist/bbrc/
            3. U. Sunderland UK Association for Buddhist Studies:
            http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/~os0dwe/bsa.shtml

            (c) Indian Languages

            1. The Indo-European Family of Languages:
            http://www.krysstal.com/langfams_indoeuro.html
            2. Languages and Scripts of India:
            http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~malaiya/scripts.html
            3. Indic Languages:
            http://indoeuro.bizland.com/tree/indo/ind.html
            4. Online Sanskrit Dictionary:
            http://www.alkhemy.com/sanskrit/dict/
            5. Indian Lexicon:
            http://sarasvati.simplenet.com/html/indlexmain.htm

            (d) Pali

            1. Pali:
            http://public.srce.hr/~kmajor/zzekovic/
            2. Pali Language:
            http://www.thecore.nus.edu.sg/writing/ccwp10/bineesha/pali.html
            3. Pali Literature:
            http://www.indiaheritage.com/creative/litra/pali_lit.htm

            I believe that these links are useful to Pali students, particularly
            Pali/Buddhist scholars and academics. So, I have also put them on the
            Pali Group - Bookmarks Section for easy reference in the future.

            YP.

            http://www.hawaii.edu/phil/
            http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/
            http://www.iahr.dk/