Re: [Fwd: [Pali] Ledi Sayadaw]

  • rsasaki@newmail.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2001
      Piya Tan wrote:

      > Thanks Rick, for the info.
      >
      > You must be Burmese though your name sounds Japanese. Any relation
      > of the scholar
      > who wrote a book of Buddhism and linguistics (sorry, forgot the
      > title)?
      >
      > P.

      Genjun Sasaki was the one on the book about linguistics. :)

      There is the great Rinzai Zen teacher Sasaki Roshi too.

      But sorry, no relation to any of them (at least that I know of), though
      samsara's wheel turns so much that in the end we are related to everyone
      in one of our lives, isnt it? :)

      The name is in fact Japanese (father), though I'm Brazilian by birth. I
      supposed you are from Malaysia??

      :)

      Rick
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2001
        Yes, I'm Chinese from Malaysia. Currently resident and doing Buddhist work in
        Singapore. Are you resident in Brazil? I know many Japanese are resident in Peru.
        You must be a Buddhist scholar.

        Prof. Sumanapala (U of Kelaniya) has started with his Basic Abhidhamma class last
        week. Next month (October) he will be teaching Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit which I have
        long waited for. All this will be conducted at the Buddhist Library, Singapore.

        BTW could you (or anybody) tell me the best way to access those learned Journals
        (like Philosophy East And West, Numen, JIABS, etc, etc) online. I know you have to
        pay for them. Whic his the best website running this service?

        P.

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2001
          Hi Piya and friends,

          the best place to find journals is the websites of their publishers.

          1. Philosophy East And West is published by the University of Hawaii
          Department of Philosophy http://www.hawaii.edu/phil/ It is printed by
          University of Hawaii Press http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/

          2. Numen is published by the International Association for the
          History of Religions (IAHR) http://www.iahr.dk/

          3. JIABS is published by the International Association of Buddhist
          Studies (IABS) http://www-orient.unil.ch/

          I am sure these journals are very valuable since you have asked the
          group for the second time. It took me quite a while to trace them
          down, relying on the little info. you provided. If you have more
          titles to check out, just let me know. Journals from US and Europe
          will usually have an online presence. However, chances are slim if
          the journals are from West Asia.

          metta,
          YP.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2001
            Yong Peng,

            Thanks for being such a conscientious Bodhisattva. I had access to countless
            journals when I was in Berkeley, but it's very difficult to get them in Singapore.
            They are valuable because, unlike books which are dated by the time they appear,
            journals articles are as current as you can get the printed word. They also present
            the most controversial and cutting-edge views of your subject of interest. And they
            are also very expensive.

            They are also tedious, as you have to rummage through the index (if there is one) to
            look for things of interest. Otherwise, it's from page to page, cover to cover.

            JIABS was at one time edited by my sponsoring professor, Prof. Lewis Lancaster in
            Berkeley.

            I remember coming across a company or website that provides connections to all the
            websites. Probably the NUS Library people know this.

            Thanks again.

            P.

            Ong Yong Peng wrote:

            > Hi Piya and friends,
            >
            > the best place to find journals is the websites of their publishers.
            >
            > 1. Philosophy East And West is published by the University of Hawaii
            > Department of Philosophy http://www.hawaii.edu/phil/ It is printed by
            > University of Hawaii Press http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/
            >
            > 2. Numen is published by the International Association for the
            > History of Religions (IAHR) http://www.iahr.dk/
            >
            > 3. JIABS is published by the International Association of Buddhist
            > Studies (IABS) http://www-orient.unil.ch/
            >
            > I am sure these journals are very valuable since you have asked the
            > group for the second time. It took me quite a while to trace them
            > down, relying on the little info. you provided. If you have more
            > titles to check out, just let me know. Journals from US and Europe
            > will usually have an online presence. However, chances are slim if
            > the journals are from West Asia.
            >
            > metta,
            > YP.
            >
            > --- Piya Tan <libris@s...> wrote:
            > > BTW could you (or anybody) tell me the best way to access those
            > learned Journals (like Philosophy East And West, Numen, JIABS, etc,
            > etc) online. I know you have to pay for them. Which is the best
            > website running this service?
            >
            > P.

          • Ven. KUMARA Bhikkhu
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 6, 2001
              From: Piya Tan <libris@...>
              > Prof. Sumanapala (U of Kelaniya) has started with his Basic Abhidhamma
              class last
              > week. Next month (October) he will be teaching Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit
              which I have
              > long waited for. All this will be conducted at the Buddhist Library,
              Singapore.

              What, if I may ask, is "Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit"?

              metta,
              Ven K
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 6, 2001
                Venerable,

                My apologies, I thought I had answered this question.

                Anyway, Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit (BHS) is the name given by Fransklin Edgerton to a
                Middle Indic Language (to which Pali belong) used to record some early Buddhist
                teachings.

                Pali, as scholars now know, is the product of the fusion of a number of dialect and
                is a literary language (Kunstsprache) specially composed and used during the 1st
                Council to record the various teachings of the Buddha passed down to the early
                disciples.

                Another such language is a kind of popular or "vulgate" Sanskrit used by the
                Buddhist. It is not as complicated as the Vedic or Classical Sanskrit. For more
                details, please see Edgerton's Buddhist Hybrid Sanskrit Dictionary and Grammar vol. 1
                p 1 ff.

                P.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 6, 2001
                  Hi Piya and friends,

                  since we're on this topic, I've done some searching on the web and
                  would like to recommend the following sites in addition to those
                  already available on Tipitaka.net (under Tipitaka, Pali and Journals).
                  http://www.tipitaka.net/links/main.htm

                  Most full universities around the world offer courses in Buddhism,
                  however not much information is available online. This applies to
                  other research areas also.

                  Some of the links I find useful are:

                  (a) General

                  1. Buddhist Studies WWW Virtual Library:
                  http://www.ciolek.com/WWWVL-Buddhism.html
                  2. WWW Virtual Library - Sri Lanka - Buddhism:
                  http://www.lankalibrary.com/bud.html

                  (b) Universities

                  1. NTU Center for Buddhist Studies:
                  http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/
                  They have a list of journals:
                  http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/e-journal.htm
                  2. UCB Buddhist Research Society:
                  http://ishi.lib.berkeley.edu/buddhist/bbrc/
                  3. U. Sunderland UK Association for Buddhist Studies:
                  http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/~os0dwe/bsa.shtml

                  (c) Indian Languages

                  1. The Indo-European Family of Languages:
                  http://www.krysstal.com/langfams_indoeuro.html
                  2. Languages and Scripts of India:
                  http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~malaiya/scripts.html
                  3. Indic Languages:
                  http://indoeuro.bizland.com/tree/indo/ind.html
                  4. Online Sanskrit Dictionary:
                  http://www.alkhemy.com/sanskrit/dict/
                  5. Indian Lexicon:
                  http://sarasvati.simplenet.com/html/indlexmain.htm

                  (d) Pali

                  1. Pali:
                  http://public.srce.hr/~kmajor/zzekovic/
                  2. Pali Language:
                  http://www.thecore.nus.edu.sg/writing/ccwp10/bineesha/pali.html
                  3. Pali Literature:
                  http://www.indiaheritage.com/creative/litra/pali_lit.htm

                  I believe that these links are useful to Pali students, particularly
                  Pali/Buddhist scholars and academics. So, I have also put them on the
                  Pali Group - Bookmarks Section for easy reference in the future.

                  YP.

                  http://www.hawaii.edu/phil/
                  http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/
                  http://www.iahr.dk/