Re: milindapanha

  • Flavio Costa
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2001
      Wynn, Suan Lu Zaw et al,

      thank you for your responses. It seems that Miss Horner really did not
      fully comprehend this phrase, simply leaving purimaviññaanam aside (it's not
      the point here to investigate why she translated this way).

      I found in the PED the exact translation for the expression sangaha.m
      gacchati:

      to be comprised, included, or classified SnA 7, 24, 291. --
      3. inclusion, i. e. constitution of consciousness, phase Miln 40.

      However I still wonder what means "the previous consciousness to be
      included (or comprised) in the latter consciousness". Why "inclusion"? As
      far as I know, the first consciousness in this life arises in dependence on
      the last consciousness in the previous life. Strange to express this
      dependence as a kind of inclusion, but, anyway, the feedback you provided
      helped me to clarify this question.

      Best regards,

      Flavio Costa