Re: [Pali] Kamboja - Where is it?

  • Robert Didham
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
      Jim

      Sircar's book "Studies in the Geography of Ancient and Medieval India" has
      quite a few references of use here - the exact extent and location of the
      region/place is unclear but the connection with the Yavanas and the
      Gandharans is clear enough and this places the Kamboja somewhere around the
      northwestern fringes of South Asia

      Appears to still be an open question.

      Cheers

      Robert

      >From: "Jim Anderson" <jimanderson_on@...>
      >To: <Pali@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [Pali] Kamboja - Where is it?
      >Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:11:38 -0500
      >
      >Dear Ven. Pesala,
      >
      >You ask:
      >Kamboja is the last of the sixteen great nations mentioned in the
      >Visakha Sutta, Uposatha Vagga, Atthakanipata, Anguttaranikaya. Where
      >is
      >it?
      >
      >According to Malalasekera's Dictionary of Pali Proper Names, it sounds
      >like it's in Afghanistan since it is thought to have been on the
      >shores of the Kabul river. It is near or next to Gandhaara and on a
      >caravan route.
      >
      >Best wishes,
      >Jim

    • Jim Anderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2004
        Robert,

        Thanks for the extra details. I did a quick Google search for
        'Kamboja' and was surprised at the number of webpages in the results.
        There is a scholarly article on the various schools of thought
        concerning where Kamboja might have been located at:

        http://www.kambojsociety.com/ancient_2.asp

        The following is a clip:

        "Thus we see that according to Dr Mukerjee, roughly the Kabul valley,
        Begram, Lamghan valley, Kunar valley, Kohistan, Kaffirstan, Swat
        valley, Hazara and Abhisara (SE Kashmir) were included in the Kamboja
        Mahajanapada.(roughly the land of the Paropanisadaen satrapy of the
        Greeks)."

        On another webpage it said that Cambodia is named after the ancient
        Kamboja country. Kandahar in Afghanistan makes me think that this name
        might be a linguistic variant of Gandhaara.

        Best wishes,
        Jim

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
          Dear Jim, Robert and friends,

          this is interesting. In fact, Cambodia does sound close to Kamboja.
          Kampuchea, an old name for Cambodia, sounds even closer.

          Although it is not impossible for ancient Indians to come into
          contact with other people, it is amazing how well the understanding
          of the world was during Buddha's time, as it covers a good portion of
          South Asia.

          metta,
          Yong Peng