Pali Day by Day 2/14/2004 [A286]
- Pali Primer Exercise 22
Translate into English
2. Mañjuusaaya.m nikkhipitabba.m suva.n.na.m maa mañcasmi.m
in box / should be kept / gold / do not / on bed / leave!
Do not leave on the bed the gold which should be kept in the
3. Sappurisaa puujaniiye puujenti, asappurisaa tathaa (likewise)
good men / (those) who should be honoured / honour / wicked
men / likewise / do not / do
Good men honour those worthy of honour, wicked men do not do
4. Bhuupaalena rakkhitabba.m diipa.m amaccaa na sammaa (well)
by king / should be protected / island / ministers / do not
/ well / protect
The ministers do not govern well the island which should be
protected by the king.
5. Manussehi dhammo ugga.nhitabbo, sacca.m adhigantabba.m hoti.
by people / dhamma / should be learned / truth / to be
understood / is
The dhamma should be learned by the people, the truth is to
6. Kumaariihi aaha.taani pupphaani udakena aasiñcitabbaani honti.
by girls / brought / flowers / with water / to be sprinked /
The flowers brought by the girls are to be sprinkled with water.
- Hello Jayarava and friends,
In Norman's translation of the Dhammapada, in his note for v.259, he directs the reader's attention to verses 8, 128, 168, 172 and 177, where there is the same consonant doubling of p before na as in v.259 (pamajjati to nappamajjati) after what he calls the 'proclitic' use of na. So the formation seems to be a regular phonological feature in Pali.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]