Re: [Pali] Requesting help "writing" a few words

  • rett
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004

      >I am not a contributing member of the group. I have been searching
      >the internet hoping to fins some kind folks who might be able to help
      >me write the following words in Pali script. If someone can help me
      >with this, or point me in the right direction, I would really
      >appreciate it. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
      >
      >dukkha
      >samudaya
      >nirodha
      >magga

      Hi,

      Pali doesn't have it's own script, so it uses the script of the local
      nation. You could try Devanagari, which would look like
      Hindi/Sanskrit, or Sinhalese (of Sri Lanka), Burmese, Thai, perhaps
      Tibetan or a few others including western roman characters, depending
      on what you prefer. Are you going to use them in some sort of
      artwork? If so, to my eye, the Sinhalese script is the prettiest of
      the lot. But if you have a connection to the Buddhist tradition of
      some country you might want to choose their script.

      Good luck,

      /Rett
    • dustymirror2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
        Rett, thanks very much for this informative explanation. Yes, I will
        be using this in artwork; I will look into using the Sinhalese script
        at your suggestion. No ties to a particular country.

        Thanks!

        Dusty