Requesting help "writing" a few words

  • dustymirror2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2004
      Hello Everyone,

      I am not a contributing member of the group. I have been searching
      the internet hoping to fins some kind folks who might be able to help
      me write the following words in Pali script. If someone can help me
      with this, or point me in the right direction, I would really
      appreciate it. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

      dukkha
      samudaya
      nirodha
      magga

      Kindest regards,

      Dusty
    • rett
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004

        >I am not a contributing member of the group. I have been searching
        >the internet hoping to fins some kind folks who might be able to help
        >me write the following words in Pali script. If someone can help me
        >with this, or point me in the right direction, I would really
        >appreciate it. Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
        >
        >dukkha
        >samudaya
        >nirodha
        >magga

        Hi,

        Pali doesn't have it's own script, so it uses the script of the local
        nation. You could try Devanagari, which would look like
        Hindi/Sanskrit, or Sinhalese (of Sri Lanka), Burmese, Thai, perhaps
        Tibetan or a few others including western roman characters, depending
        on what you prefer. Are you going to use them in some sort of
        artwork? If so, to my eye, the Sinhalese script is the prettiest of
        the lot. But if you have a connection to the Buddhist tradition of
        some country you might want to choose their script.

        Good luck,

        /Rett
      • dustymirror2003
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
          Rett, thanks very much for this informative explanation. Yes, I will
          be using this in artwork; I will look into using the Sinhalese script
          at your suggestion. No ties to a particular country.

          Thanks!

          Dusty