Re: are there any lively textbooks?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
      Dear Raiu and friends,

      I am not aware of any such a fantastic text for Pali, but I do
      scribble some meaning phrases, and here is one in the current
      exercise book I am using:

      pittan te kupita.m -- you are in a bad mood. (lit. your bile is upset
      or out of order) [Ref. PED pitta]

      Enjoy.

      metta,
      Yong Peng

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, raiu_harrison wrote:
      > I have studied several languages and most foreign language
      > textbooks I have seen contain things that make the material
      > more enjoyable (and therefore easier to remember): cartoons,
      > puzzles, rhymes and proverbs, or at
      > least some text about the culture and history associated with the
      > language. I recently received my first book about Pali, de Silva's
      > Pali Primer, and was shocked to see that it is just wordlists
      > followed by sentence construction drills. It is a lifeless desert.
      > Can anyone recommend a more lively textbook?
    • Lennart Lopin
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
        Try this one:

        Rune E. A. Johansson:
        Pali Buddhist Texts - Explained to the Beginner

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9144082118/qid=1075920017//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-6566132-3869652?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

        It teaches some Pali just on original text passages and is probably the most
        "easy-going" Pali primer, I know of (in English)

        mettaya,

        Lennart