Re: are there any lively textbooks?

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2004
      Exactly! There really is nothing lively out there.

      For me, the Gair & Karunatillake is much more interesting than the
      de Silva because it uses excellent little excerpts from the Dhamma,
      rather than made up sentences - and for me, as well as a love of
      language, understanding the Dhamma is my prime motivation for
      tackling Pali at all. However, as I've said on this list before,
      the G.&K. is more difficult than de S. and I found working through
      the Primer a helpful starter.

      Stick with it, my friend - it's worth it!

      John

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
        Dear Raiu and friends,

        I am not aware of any such a fantastic text for Pali, but I do
        scribble some meaning phrases, and here is one in the current
        exercise book I am using:

        pittan te kupita.m -- you are in a bad mood. (lit. your bile is upset
        or out of order) [Ref. PED pitta]

        Enjoy.

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, raiu_harrison wrote:
        > I have studied several languages and most foreign language
        > textbooks I have seen contain things that make the material
        > more enjoyable (and therefore easier to remember): cartoons,
        > puzzles, rhymes and proverbs, or at
        > least some text about the culture and history associated with the
        > language. I recently received my first book about Pali, de Silva's
        > Pali Primer, and was shocked to see that it is just wordlists
        > followed by sentence construction drills. It is a lifeless desert.
        > Can anyone recommend a more lively textbook?
      • Lennart Lopin
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
          Try this one:

          Rune E. A. Johansson:
          Pali Buddhist Texts - Explained to the Beginner

          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9144082118/qid=1075920017//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-6566132-3869652?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

          It teaches some Pali just on original text passages and is probably the most
          "easy-going" Pali primer, I know of (in English)

          mettaya,

          Lennart