Key to Narada's "Elementary Pali Course"?

  • Ven. KUMARA Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2001
      A good day to all.

      I'm new to this list, and still quite new to Pali. Hope I'm not disqualified
      from this group as it's supposed to be a group for translators. Can hardly
      consider myself a translator at the moment since my knowledge of Pali a just
      a little bit more (or less, due to rustiness) than what "Pali Primer"
      teaches.

      I completed the book some months back, with the help of my teacher, Ven.
      Aggacitta. Now, he's asking me to do Chapter XV onwards of Narada Thera's
      "Elementary Pali Course".

      As he's still rather busy with the setting up of this place, Sasanarakkha
      Buddhist Sanctuary <http://sasanarakkha.cjb.net>, I'm thinking of relieving
      him of correction work.

      So, wonder if anyone has, or know where I could get, the answer key to the
      exercise in the book.

      I'd also the happy to receive any suggestions for further studies.

      with loving-kindness,
      Ven. Kumãra Bhikkhu
      Sasanarakkha Buddhist Sanctuary
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 29, 2001
        Venerable,

        The webmaster Yong Peng would probably be able to help you in a short while.

        Have you checked out the Chattha Sangayana CD ROM. It has everything of the Pali
        Canon.

        Respects.

        Piya Tan

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29, 2001
          Good day, Ven. Kumara Bhante and Piya.

          Ven. Kumara Bhante, thank you for joining us. This is not a group for
          translators only, but also for anyone keen to learn Pali and/or read
          the Tipitaka and comy. in Pali. The presence of the sangha will be of
          great benefit to the group, helping us on understanding the Buddha-
          Dhamma and its modern application, if not on the language of Pali. In
          fact, English is the medium while Pali is the subject. :-)

          I do not know any answer key to Narada Thera's "Elementary Pali
          Course", maybe other members will be able to help. I do know of
          http://www.santavihara.org/pali/htpali/pcourse.html where there are
          some tutorial guides to the earlier chapters of the book. My personal
          opinion is these guides will be more useful to the intermediate
          student than a beginner.

          I may attempt to go through Narada Thera's book as a refresher and
          introduction to the language for future new members. Our plan is to
          complete Pali Primer and A New Course in Reading Pali first.

          However, bhante, you may want to lead us to read Narada Thera's book
          in this group now. I will be glad to learn from you.

          Respects,
          Yong Peng.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2001
            I also mean Pali is the tool while Buddhism is the subject.

            metta,
            YP.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2001
              YP: I do not know any answer key to Narada Thera's "Elementary Pali
              Course", maybe other members will be able to help. I do know of
              http://www.santavihara.org/pali/htpali/pcourse.html where there are
              some tutorial guides to the earlier chapters of the book. My personal
              opinion is these guides will be more useful to the intermediate
              student than a beginner.

              VK: I'll check that out. Thank you. I also recall having seen Ven.
              Mettavihari's notes (not complete) based on the book. Are we referring to
              the same?

              I agree that most Pali guides have a rather steep learning curve. An
              exception would be "Paal.i Primer". It's quite well designed in terms of
              progression of teaching points. However, it's a pity that it's selection of
              vocabulary items is rather poor. Nonetheless, I haven't seen a more
              satisfactory first book for Pali learners.

              YP: I may attempt to go through Narada Thera's book as a refresher and
              introduction to the language for future new members. Our plan is to
              complete Pali Primer and A New Course in Reading Pali first.

              I think I better not wait.

              YB: However, bhante, you may want to lead us to read Narada Thera's book
              in this group now. I will be glad to learn from you.

              VK: I don't see how I could be qualified for that, at least for now. You can
              ask me again at least 3 years later.

              Piya: Have you checked out the Chattha Sangayana CD ROM. It has everything
              of the Pali Canon.

              VK: Yes, I've version 3 copied into this computer. We're also getting the
              Thai version.

              peace

              Kumaara Bhikkhu