Re: Pali Day by Day 1/4/2004 [A246]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1247 , Jan 4, 2004

      A couple of fine points re your English translation:

      > 8. Pabbatasmi.m guhaasu vasantaa siihaa vaalukaaya kii.lante mige
      > maaresu.m.
      > Living in the caves in the mountain, the lions killed the deer
      > playing on the sand.

      I would suggest "The lions living in the caves in the mountain
      killed the deer playing on the sand."

      The subtle difference here is that the main point of the sentence is
      that lions killed the deer, and the first part of the sentence
      qualifies which lions - the lions living in the caves in the
      mountain.

      > 9. Ammaa daarikaaya kujjhitvaa hatthena pahari.
      > The mother got angry with the girl and hit (her) with the hand.

      "The mother got angry with the girl and hit her with her hand."
      In English the possessive adjective qualifying hand would almost
      always be used in such situations.

      With metta,
      John
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones