Texts

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
      Great thanks to those who pointed me in the direction of finding the
      Pali texts (especially the free online materials!). I will research
      the options and order something today. I am wondering...is Pali
      considered a "dead" language? Does anybody actually converse in Pali
      today? Do any of these books come with tapes so that one can hear how
      the words are pronounced?

      Thank-you,
      Susan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
        Dear Susan and friends,

        Warder's book has an accompanying audio CD/tape made by Ven.
        Saddhatissa:
        http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=134105
        http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=132684

        The usage of Pali in daily life is very limited, probably only within
        Theravada monastic communities and when it is more convenient to
        converse in Pali. I am no expert in linguistics, but it appears to be
        a "dead" language to me.

        metta,
        Yong Peng