Fwd: Re: Welcome to Pali

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2001

      wrote:

      > Welcome to the All Things Pali Discussion Group.
      > Please take a moment to review this message.
      >
      > Our main discussion topics:
      > 1. Tipitaka and sutta study;
      > 2. Pali language and literature;
      > 3. Theravada Buddhism;
      > 4. Samatha and Vipassana meditation;
      > 5. Sutta study tools and methodology;
      > 6. Tipitaka translation theory and practice.
      >
      > For a start, you may want to introduce yourself to
      > the group, with the help of some or all of the
      > following questions:
      > 1. Are you a buddhist? If not, what makes you
      interested in Theravada Buddhism?
      I have always been interested in Buddhism but never
      had a chance to meet the right group who are really
      into buddhism.

      > 2. Are you learning/teaching the Pali language? If
      yes, what do you think are the common difficulties
      faced by students?
      I would love to learn Pali but I cannot find a class
      or if there's a class it classes with my other
      classes.

      > 3. Do you read and study the suttas, or other
      Tipitaka/Pali literature (such as Abhidhamma, Vinaya)?

      I cannot read or pronounce the Pali words correctly.
      Therefore I do not know how to study suttas. I'm
      rather new in buddhism.

      > 4. Do you use any tools/guidebooks in your study of
      the Pali canon, or do you apply any methods in your
      study?
      Don't have a chance to see any Pali books or guide
      yet.

      > 5. Do you meditate regularly? If you do, where do
      you learn/practise and what are the methods that you
      use?
      I do not know how to meditate. Sorry

      > 6. Were/Are you involved in any translation works
      of the Tipitaka? Are you interested in such works?
      May I know what's a Tipitaka?

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2001
        Dear Renuka, welcome to the group.

        yp.