Re: [Pali] Pali Day by Day 12/27/2003 [A239]

  • Charles Perera
    Message 1 of 1247 , Jan 2, 2004
      Dear Ong Yong Peng,

      I joined the group hoping to learn Pali from the basic........I was unable to get the book you mentioned. How ever, knowing a smattering of Pali I follow your Pali Day by Day and find it excellent. Thank you very much and please permit me to wish you success in all your undertakings.

      with metta,
      Hasituppada

      Ong Yong Peng <ypong001@...> wrote:
      Pali Primer Exercise 17

      Translate into English

      13. Paasaa.namhi .thatvaa aja.m khaadanta.m siiha.m disvaa vaanaraa
      bhaayi.msu.
      on rock / having stood / goat / eating / lion / having seen /
      monkeys / got frightened
      Having seen the lion standing on the rock and eating a goat,
      the monkeys got frightened.

      14. Rukkhamuule nisiiditvaa gitaani gaayantaana.m kumaaraana.m
      kaayesu pa.n.naani ca pupphaani ca pati.msu.
      under a tree / having seated / songs / singing / boys' /
      on bodies / leaves and / flowers and / fell
      Leaves and flowers fell on the bodies of the boys sitting
      under a tree and singing songs.

      15. Tumhe dhana.m sa.mharamaanaa maa samudda.m taritvaa diipa.m
      gacchatha.
      you / wealth / collecting / do not / sea / having crossed /
      island / go!
      (You) Do not cross the sea and go to the island collecting
      wealth.

      16. Aapa.nasmi.m bha.n.daani vikki.nantassa vaa.nijassa ratho
      atthi.
      at shop / goods / selling / merchant's / chariot / it is
      It is the chariot of the merchant selling goods at the
      shop.
      Alt: The merchant who sells goods at the shop has a vehicle.

      [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
      [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

    • Dhivan Thomas Jones
      Message 1247 of 1247 , Jul 4, 2011