Re: Dhammapada

  • societe_bouddhiste_gotama
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 1, 2004
      Thanks a lot,
      dwell in peace !

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Everett Thiele <rett@t...> wrote:
      > >As I am quite new to the Paa.li language, my question may be not
      so
      > >intelligent, but it is through errors that progress is made.
      > >

      > >As you all know, "Dhammapada" is almost always translated as "The
      > >verses of Dhamma(whatever the term used to render dhamma, be it
      > >doctrine, law, truth, etc. is not the point). What I do not
      > >undestand, however, is how can it be that plural is used : pada,
      it
      > >seems to me, is clearly a singular form (unlike padaa, which would
      > >be plural). Wouldn't a translation such as "the path of Dhamma",
      or
      > >else the somewhat akward "the verse of Dhamma", be more accurate ?
      >

      > I'm not certain of the correct answer, but one thing worth looking
      at
      > is this: K.R. Norman discusses the title in the introducton to his
      > translation. He goes with "The Word of the Doctrine" which is
      > singular like you suggest. But he also mentions possible
      alternatives
      > including "the Path of the Doctrine". I'm not qualified to judge,
      but
      > his work appears exceptionally thorough, knowledgable and well
      > reasoned. That's also the opinion of many active scholars in the
      > field. So I think your instincts are leading you in the right
      > direction. Here's the reference to the book, in case you or
      another
      > reader is interested:
      >
      > Norman, K.R. (tr), _The Word of the Doctrine (Dhammapada)_, Pali
      Text
      > Society, Oxford, 2000
      >
      > hope this helps,
      >
      > /rett
    • gurusinha sena
      Message 40 of 40 , Apr 22 10:54 PM
        ANDROID
        APPLICATION OF
        ILLUSTRATED
        DHAMMAPADA
        BY
        VEN. WERAGODA
        SARADA NAYAKA MAHA THERO

        In the fast moving world every
        person is a prisoner of time.  For those
        who are in hunger for wisdom, we provide the Teachings of the Buddha on their
        palms, in the form of a mobile application.

        Dhammapada Android application
        features the same illustrations and Pali verses of the original book and more.
        Here you can listen to stanzas in Pali Language with audio English translation.

        May this be a gift to all the
        Buddhists and others who likes to read in the world.

        If you like the Dhammapada
        application on Android, please donate, so that we can continue our service to
        digitize more books onto the Android platform.