Re: Pali Day by Day 12/29/2003 [A241]

    Message 1 of 1247 , Dec 31, 2003
      Dear John and friends,

      Happy New Year.

      Thanks, John. You are right about #21. It should be in the imperative
      mood. Thanks also for #24, the corrections will be reflected in the
      online page.

      metta,
      Yong Peng

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, John Kelly wrote:
      I think #21 is best translated as an imperative. Thus:
      "Do not sell the golden bowl and buy swords."

      In #24, removing "from" would be more idiomatic English, thus:
      "I climbed the stairs, they came down the stairs."

      > 21. Maa tva.m suva.n.napatta.m vikki.nitvaa khagge ki.naahi.
      > do not / you / golden bowl / having sold / swords / buy!
      > You do not sell the golden bowl and buy swords.

      > 24. Aha.m sopaana.m aaruhi.m, te sopaanamhaa oruhi.msu.
      > I / stairs / climbed / they / from stairs / descended
      > I climbed the stairs, they came down from the stairs.
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones
      Message 1247 of 1247 , Jul 4, 2011
        Hello Jayarava and friends,

        Dhivan