Re: [Pali] Re: Verdana and Georgia Fonts

  • Stephen Hodge
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 12, 2003
      Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:

      > He informs me that the Verdana and Georgia fonts ARE NOT IN THE PUBLIC
      > DOMAIN. So who should we believe?

      Unfortunately, according to the font details I have (look in your Fonts file
      and click to open each font), they are both copyright (1996) to Microsoft.
      Pity !

      Best wishes,
      Stephen Hodge
    • Eric Van Horn
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 12, 2003
        Hello, Bikkhu Pesala,

        Thank you for your comments. It is true that Microsoft no longer
        provides the free font download service, but that is a distribution
        issue, not a licensing one.

        According to the web site at http://simplythebest.net, Verdana and
        Georgia are freeware. Technically freeware is not in the public domain,
        so in that sense, Ulrich is correct. When I gave my earlier explanation,
        I was trying to avoid technicalities what I did not think applied to our
        group. However, your point is well made. Freeware is free for use by
        "professional webmasters and hobbyists," but if you wish to use them
        commercially, you may have to register them first.

        The link for the Verdana font, which includes the licensing information,
        is at http://www.simplythebest.net/fonts/fonts/verdana.html, and the
        link to the Georgia description is at
        http://www.simplythebest.net/fonts/fonts/georgia.html.

        If you find any information to the contrary, by all means let me know.

        Metta,

        Eric

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 13, 2003
          Yes, that is correct. Freeware means that the owner retains the rights to
          it, but they do not charge for non-commercial use.

          Eric