Re: [Pali] Re: Ko.n.dañña

  • Dimitry Ivakhnenko (Äìèòðèé Èâ
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 22, 2001
      Hi, Derek,

      >> and Ven. Kondanna's Udana at
      >> http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/khuddaka/udana/ud7-6.html

      DC> There's also a (smallish) question mark over this one -- Ko.n.dañña
      DC> is famous for his love of solitude, yet in the prose introduction to
      DC> the udaana 7.6 it says that it took place while Ko.n.dañña was
      DC> staying in Jeta's Grove, at the monastery donated by Anaathapi.n.dika.

      Why not? After many years of solitary wandering, Ko.n.dañña returned
      to Buddha and the community of monks.

      Actually most bhikkhus, like Kondañña, traveled, and sometimes Buddha
      also traveled alone, so there was no fixed 'core' group. Bhikkhus used
      to gather on Vassa (rains retreat), to hear Buddha, as described in
      Satipatthana sutta.

      And it seems to me that 'no-view' approach of A.t.thaka Vagga agrees very
      well with 'right view' as the factor of the Path. You can read, for
      example, Di.t.thi sutta
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/anguttara/an10-93.html

      where Anathapindika, discerning abstract fixed beliefs as stressful,
      proposes experiantial present-moment 'vision'. In fact 'di.t.thi' can
      be interpreted as either 'belief' or 'vision'.

      One can't contemplate whether cosmos is eternal or not. However stress
      and release from it is in every moment.

      Mettacittena,
      Dimitry