Myanmar, was (Re: Studying Pali ....)

  • christine_forsyth
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
      Hello Eric, and all,

      Thanks for your comments, it helps to know someone else has the same
      experiences with Pali. :-)
      You ask about the trip to Myanmar. It was a five day pilgrimage and
      dhamma study trip. It started from Bangkok in mid-October with 108
      people altogether. 102 were Thai nationals or ex-pat Thais from the
      U.S.A. 6 were westerners out of Hong Kong, Australia and the U.S.A.
      The tour was led by the Thai Theravadin teacher Khun Sujin
      Boriharnwanaket. We saw nothing unusual regarding the government or
      military, and the people of Myanmar that we met were fine, tall, slim
      looking men and women - courteous and friendly. Though there was
      some concern as to who was actually getting donations to temples -
      Sangha or government, the main difficulties were the blanket blocking
      of internet access, no Automatic Tellers in the country, and no
      general credit card use. The hotels were of a high standard,
      commerce and everyday life seemed to proceed with no overt
      intervention. Security was not high - compared to the Hotels in Bkk
      (during the Apec Meeting in October and afterwards). There was little
      security that we saw - though, as we were coming as a Pilgrimage
      group, perhaps we had been checked out before hand. I was impressed
      by Myanmar and her people and intend to return if possible for a
      longer period. The visual impact of the 2,000 Jedi of Bagan (Pagan)
      grouped within 16 sq. km. was amazing. Thankfully they are world
      heritage listed. The memory of the beautiful, awe inspiring
      Shwedagon Pagoda, and the Jedi of Bagan, will remain with me always.

      metta and peace,
      Christine
      ---The trouble is that you think you have time