(pali) is this just a flame group

  • Thiele Everett
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
      Sorry to complain the first day I am here,
      but it was a bit disconcerting to find such
      bickering going on right off the bat. Is
      this going to be standard here?

      --Rett
    • Bruce Burrill
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 25, 2001
        At 06:42 PM 7/25/01 +0200, you wrote:
        >Sorry to complain the first day I am here,
        >but it was a bit disconcerting to find such
        >bickering going on right off the bat. Is
        >this going to be standard here?

        I would hope not; otherwise I am outta here, and I am sure won't be alone.
        As I said, my strong suggestion is to ignore this individual if he or she
        cannot stop with his or her name calling and YELLING. Actually, it should
        be up to the moderator to end this at this point. If we continue to engage
        this individual, I think we can all see where it will go. There are enough
        e-mail and usenet hell-holes out there for those who want them and who are
        obviously spoiling for a fight. A list for the discussion of things Pali
        should not be one.

        So, I ask that the list owner to step in here.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 26, 2001
          Rest assure it is not and will never be one.

          [ MN26: The purpose of your coming together, monks, is twofold - either dhamma-talk or the ariyan silence. ]

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 26, 2001

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 6, 2001
              E,
              I think no one has responded to this:

              "has another experienced 'violent' jerk in the midst of meditation &
              does anyone know why it happens & how to handle it?"

              This is a fairly common experience with meditators who have made a
              little progress. Some people experience a spazm in the legs, some in
              the stomach some in the face, back, buttocks etc. some get chills or
              hot flashes or prickly sensations.

              This is a consequence of the release of old tensions. The body is
              connected to the sense organs and reflects your personal reactions to
              sense stimulation in the form of tension. When you sit down, you
              begin to resolve some issues (you can do this mentally, or you can do
              it just sitting letting go of the tensions).

              The issue is the fact that this jerking around is disruptive of your
              calm or concentration. What you can do is to try and "get ahead" of
              these phenomena. Pay attention and you will see that you can see when
              they are about to occur. At this time try to release the tension in a
              smooth, controlled way.

              obo
            • OlBeggaO@pacbell.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 6, 2001
                E,
                You said:
                "i'm not too sure how to "try to release the tension in a
                smooth, controlled way" because sometimes, the jerk comes without
                warning."

                All you need is a little practice and you will be able to get ahead
                of these phenomena. When you see it coming, you will see where the
                spasm is about to start (at what muscle, or point in the body) and
                then you can smooth it out as you would a wrinkle in a garment you
                were folding up neatly to put away. Meanwhile don't worry, it means
                you are moving on from old stuff you were hanging on to. It is simply
                that with the jerk, you release the tensions "into the air" as it
                were, and, actually, not completely at that; whereas with control,
                you release the tensions into internal energy that will move you
                swiftly past this stage. Without control, you can stay in the spasm
                stage for years!(. . . because although it may appear that you have
                experienced a great release, a very small release can create a large
                spasm; you can experience spasms that lift the body right off the
                floor! We've been accumulating tensions for a while now, or so I
                hear.)

                obo
              • evelyn chew
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 7, 2001
                  Dear Obo
                  thank you for your response.
                  i'm not too sure how to "try to release the tension in a
                  >smooth, controlled way" because sometimes, the jerk comes without warning.
                  metta, beng suan
                  >From: OlBeggaO@...
                  >To: Pali@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [Pali] Jerks and such
                  >Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 00:24:27 -0000
                  >
                  >E,
                  >I think no one has responded to this:
                  >
                  >"has another experienced 'violent' jerk in the midst of meditation &
                  >does anyone know why it happens & how to handle it?"
                  >
                  >This is a fairly common experience with meditators who have made a
                  >little progress. Some people experience a spazm in the legs, some in
                  >the stomach some in the face, back, buttocks etc. some get chills or
                  >hot flashes or prickly sensations.
                  >
                  >This is a consequence of the release of old tensions. The body is
                  >connected to the sense organs and reflects your personal reactions to
                  >sense stimulation in the form of tension. When you sit down, you
                  >begin to resolve some issues (you can do this mentally, or you can do
                  >it just sitting letting go of the tensions).
                  >
                  >The issue is the fact that this jerking around is disruptive of your
                  >calm or concentration. What you can do is to try and "get ahead" of
                  >these phenomena. Pay attention and you will see that you can see when
                  >they are about to occur. At this time try to release the tension in a
                  >smooth, controlled way.
                  >
                  >obo

                • evelyn chew
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 7, 2001
                    Dear Obo
                    tx. what u hv written makes a lot a sense.
                    ya, occasionally, i could feel the tension building up and could watch it
                    and then the tension disappears for a short while & abruptly erupts into a
                    jerk.
                    That's a nice description - "smooth it out as you would a wrinkle in a
                    garment you were folding up neatly to put away" - like finding ways and
                    means to relax.
                    thought i was quite relaxed before this but seems not so.
                    it's consoling to know what this spasm is all about and what to do.
                    one meditation master told me to note it, to be mindful of it, to watch it,
                    etc -
                    either i'm not doing it right or the spasm has to take its course.
                    metta, beng suan