Studying Pali at Uni of Queensland - Update

  • christine_forsyth
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hello All,
      I thought I'd give you an update on my progress with learning Pali at
      the Uni. of Queensland. I successfully completed the Intermediate
      Pali subject this last semester, learning some more of the
      intricacies and exasperations of Pali grammar. Towards the end of
      semester, I took three weeks off to travel in Thailand and Myanmar,
      planning to spend an hour a day keeping up with Pali exercises from
      Ven. Buddhadatta's book. Knowing my accumulations, how could I ever
      have imagined that this was feasible? :-) Fortunately, the last week
      of holidays was back in Australia - nothing concentrates the mind
      like fear of consequences - and I've learned the valuable lesson
      that this List also teaches - the necessity of studying a small
      amount of Pali very regularly - probably forever.
      The class is still only very small, and in first semester in 2004,
      those who have spent this year completing the Introductory and
      Intermediate Pali pre-requisite subjects are able to enrol
      in "Reading the World of the Buddha - Advanced Pali Texts" ... which
      consists of Readings of selected advanced texts in Pali & the study
      of their grammar & interpretation. At last!!

      metta and peace,
      Christine
      ---The trouble is that you think you have time ---
    • Eric Van Horn
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2003
        Hi, Christine,

        It is nice to hear about your adventures, and your comments about learning
        Pali. I have had a similar experience to your. I find that if I do even a
        little bit of work on Pali every day, that this works much better for me
        than going even a few days without doing something. Even if it is just
        reviewing some vocabulary, I find that this helps to keep it fresh in my
        mind.

        What was Myanmar like, especially with the political situation there?

        Metta,

        Eric Van Horn
        Colchester, Vermont, USA

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2003
          Hello Eric, and all,

          Thanks for your comments, it helps to know someone else has the same
          experiences with Pali. :-)
          You ask about the trip to Myanmar. It was a five day pilgrimage and
          dhamma study trip. It started from Bangkok in mid-October with 108
          people altogether. 102 were Thai nationals or ex-pat Thais from the
          U.S.A. 6 were westerners out of Hong Kong, Australia and the U.S.A.
          The tour was led by the Thai Theravadin teacher Khun Sujin
          Boriharnwanaket. We saw nothing unusual regarding the government or
          military, and the people of Myanmar that we met were fine, tall, slim
          looking men and women - courteous and friendly. Though there was
          some concern as to who was actually getting donations to temples -
          Sangha or government, the main difficulties were the blanket blocking
          of internet access, no Automatic Tellers in the country, and no
          general credit card use. The hotels were of a high standard,
          commerce and everyday life seemed to proceed with no overt
          intervention. Security was not high - compared to the Hotels in Bkk
          (during the Apec Meeting in October and afterwards). There was little
          security that we saw - though, as we were coming as a Pilgrimage
          group, perhaps we had been checked out before hand. I was impressed
          by Myanmar and her people and intend to return if possible for a
          longer period. The visual impact of the 2,000 Jedi of Bagan (Pagan)
          grouped within 16 sq. km. was amazing. Thankfully they are world
          heritage listed. The memory of the beautiful, awe inspiring
          Shwedagon Pagoda, and the Jedi of Bagan, will remain with me always.