Re: tipitaka.org

  • june_tg
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi Eric

      Its very kind of you to have taken the time to explain all that, thank
      you!...although it's a bit too technical for someone like me and i
      have no idea what you're talking about, but i really appreciate the
      effort! thanks :)

      june

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Van Horn" <ekvh@u...> wrote:
      > Hi, June,
      >
      > The problem may be the way in which the Normyn font is encoded. The
      VRI, CSX
      > and Normyn fonts do not use the international Unicode standard. If
      you are
      > using a non-English computer, your operating system may be using
      fonts that
      > need the character codes that are being borrowed by the Normyn font.
      For
      > example, the Pali letter "A" with the bar over it is character
      number 256 in
      > Unicode. The Norman font borrows character 238 for this character,
      which in
      > Unicode is a small letter i with a caret over it. This is one reason
      that I
      > created the Georgia and Verdana fonts. They use Unicode character
      codes.

      > I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks
      you what
      > encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding
      that
      > Word would understand.
      >
      > Eric

      com/info/terms/
    • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� ��������
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
        Hi June,

        You may find Tipitaka at:

        http://nibbanam.com/palikanon.htm (PDF files)
        or
        http://www.budsir.org/ (BUDSIR, Mahidol University, Thailand)

        Best wishes,
        Dimitry http://dhamma.ru/sadhu/
      • Eric Van Horn
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
          Hi, June,

          I didn't mean to give you too much information. :) The basic idea is that
          every character has a code - a number - associated with it. The letter
          capital letter "A," for example is number 65, the letter capital "B" is 66,
          and so forth.

          The problem - I believe - is that different Pali fonts use different codes
          to represent the extended Pali characters. If your Pali document expects the
          n with a dot under it to be one code, but computer is already using that
          code for something else, then there is a conflict. This is very likely if
          you have a non-English computer.

          Does that make sense?

          com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 20, 2003
            Dear Nina and friends,

            I have written this time to the webmaster of dhamma.org regarding
            the "missing site" of tipitaka.org, and here is the reply.

            metta,
            Yong Peng

            Hello Ong Yong,

            Thank you for your email. The local webmaster is aware of the issue
            and is working to correct the problem.

            Many thanks,
            Gino
            Acting webmaster

            I am writing to ask about the Pali Tipitaka website at
            http://www.tipitaka.org hosted by VRI. It seems to have been taken
            over by a marketing company.

            May I know will it be back?

            Thanks and regards,
            Ong Yong Peng.
          • nina van gorkom
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 21, 2003
              Thank you for letting us know, I am following it.
              Nina

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 28, 2003
                Dear Nina and friends,

                the Tipitaka website is online now: