Re: [Pali] Re: tipitaka.org

  • Stephen Hodge
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
      Eric Van Horn wrote:

      > I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks you what
      > encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding that
      > Word would understand.
      When I first downloaded the version in question of the Pali canon, I was
      still using Word 95. As long as I set the font to Normyn, there weas only
      one infelicity. When I upgraded to Word 97, which I still use as my daily
      workhorse, I found that the files were hardly usable no matter what I did.
      For that reason I found it prudent to retain Word 95 on my system just for
      the Pali Tipitaka. However, when I obtained the Vipassana CD, I was able to
      delete both Word 95 and the Normyn based files (I never liked the Normyn
      font anyway). Although the Vipassana CD also uses non-Unicode fonts --
      which is tedious -- I can use it with no difficulty. Cut and paste works
      fine as well, providing I select one of the VRI fonts, although I chose to
      then convert into Unicode.

      Best wishes,
      Stephen Hodge
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
        Dear June and Rett,
        I prefer tipitaka org, but tried the other, jbe.gold.ac.uk, but the latter
        one, which has a tool for iMac that I used, downloads the whole doc at once,
        and I prefer just one sutta or so. My memory may collapse if it is so much
        at once, hundreds of pages, the greater part of Yamaka.
        I am very keen to know when the tipitaka org comes back. They have co and
        tiikas.
        I cannot work with fonts, I intended to use search and replace command, but
        I could not copy some strange signs on my command: search. Later on I may
        ask Eric who kindly offered help to us.
        Nina.
        op 01-12-2003 11:03 schreef june_tg op june_tg@...:

        > Thanks for the info...is this the site where the pali canon is
        > available in pali?...have you ever tried downloading the pali canon
        > from: http://jbe.gold.ac.uk/pali/Win95/
      • june_tg
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
          dear rett,

          thanks for your help...still doesn't work, so i'm giving up :) i'll
          just wait for the tipitaka.org to come back!

          have a nice day!
          june

          ---
          > If I understand your question then you want to choose "plain text"
          > format. (Or something like that. My copy of Word isn't in English,
          so
          > menus and other options have different names).
          >
          > hope that works,
          >
          > --Rett
        • june_tg
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
            Hi Eric

            Its very kind of you to have taken the time to explain all that, thank
            you!...although it's a bit too technical for someone like me and i
            have no idea what you're talking about, but i really appreciate the
            effort! thanks :)

            june

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Van Horn" <ekvh@u...> wrote:
            > Hi, June,
            >
            > The problem may be the way in which the Normyn font is encoded. The
            VRI, CSX
            > and Normyn fonts do not use the international Unicode standard. If
            you are
            > using a non-English computer, your operating system may be using
            fonts that
            > need the character codes that are being borrowed by the Normyn font.
            For
            > example, the Pali letter "A" with the bar over it is character
            number 256 in
            > Unicode. The Norman font borrows character 238 for this character,
            which in
            > Unicode is a small letter i with a caret over it. This is one reason
            that I
            > created the Georgia and Verdana fonts. They use Unicode character
            codes.

            > I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks
            you what
            > encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding
            that
            > Word would understand.
            >
            > Eric

            com/info/terms/
          • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� ��������
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
              Hi June,

              You may find Tipitaka at:

              http://nibbanam.com/palikanon.htm (PDF files)
              or
              http://www.budsir.org/ (BUDSIR, Mahidol University, Thailand)

              Best wishes,
              Dimitry http://dhamma.ru/sadhu/
            • Eric Van Horn
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                Hi, June,

                I didn't mean to give you too much information. :) The basic idea is that
                every character has a code - a number - associated with it. The letter
                capital letter "A," for example is number 65, the letter capital "B" is 66,
                and so forth.

                The problem - I believe - is that different Pali fonts use different codes
                to represent the extended Pali characters. If your Pali document expects the
                n with a dot under it to be one code, but computer is already using that
                code for something else, then there is a conflict. This is very likely if
                you have a non-English computer.

                Does that make sense?

                com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 20, 2003
                  Dear Nina and friends,

                  I have written this time to the webmaster of dhamma.org regarding
                  the "missing site" of tipitaka.org, and here is the reply.

                  metta,
                  Yong Peng

                  Hello Ong Yong,

                  Thank you for your email. The local webmaster is aware of the issue
                  and is working to correct the problem.

                  Many thanks,
                  Gino
                  Acting webmaster

                  I am writing to ask about the Pali Tipitaka website at
                  http://www.tipitaka.org hosted by VRI. It seems to have been taken
                  over by a marketing company.

                  May I know will it be back?

                  Thanks and regards,
                  Ong Yong Peng.
                • nina van gorkom
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 21, 2003
                    Thank you for letting us know, I am following it.
                    Nina

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 28, 2003
                      Dear Nina and friends,

                      the Tipitaka website is online now: