Pali Day by Day 11/28/2003 [A211]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 1247 , Dec 1, 2003

      Thank you for your persistence with the Pali Day by
      Day, and congratulations on reaching the half-way mark
      in the Pali Primer.

      One comment I have from a recent post of yours:
      >Pali Primer Exercise 14
      >22. Tva.m dha��ena patta.m puuretvaa aacariyassa
      dassasi.
      >you / with grain / bowl / having filled / to teacher
      / will give
      >You will give the bowl to the teacher, having filled
      it with grain.

      This common Pali construction can often be translated
      as a sequence of events coming under the tense of the
      main verb, as follows:
      "You will fill the bowl with grain and give it to the
      teacher."

      This is the same essential meaning as the translation
      you gave, but has a little more fluency, I believe.

      All the best,
      John
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones
      Message 1247 of 1247 , Jul 4, 2011