[Pali] Re: tipitaka.org

  • Everett Thiele
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003

      >> I've used those files. If you've got the Normyn font installed, you
      >> still might need to use 'mark all' on the entire body of the text,
      >> and then switch to the Normyn font (from within Word).
      >>

      >it looks better now, but still can't read certain words...which
      >encoding did you choose? word is asking me to select an encoding.

      If I understand your question then you want to choose "plain text"
      format. (Or something like that. My copy of Word isn't in English, so
      menus and other options have different names).

      hope that works,

      --Rett
    • Eric Van Horn
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
        Hi, June,

        The problem may be the way in which the Normyn font is encoded. The VRI, CSX
        and Normyn fonts do not use the international Unicode standard. If you are
        using a non-English computer, your operating system may be using fonts that
        need the character codes that are being borrowed by the Normyn font. For
        example, the Pali letter "A" with the bar over it is character number 256 in
        Unicode. The Norman font borrows character 238 for this character, which in
        Unicode is a small letter i with a caret over it. This is one reason that I
        created the Georgia and Verdana fonts. They use Unicode character codes.

        I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks you what
        encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding that
        Word would understand.

        Eric

        > I've used those files. If you've got the Normyn font installed, you
        > still might need to use 'mark all' on the entire body of the text,
        > and then switch to the Normyn font (from within Word).

        it looks better now, but still can't read certain words...which
        encoding did you choose? word is asking me to select an encoding.

        > hope this helps,

        yup it did thanks.

        june

      • Stephen Hodge
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
          Eric Van Horn wrote:

          > I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks you what
          > encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding that
          > Word would understand.
          When I first downloaded the version in question of the Pali canon, I was
          still using Word 95. As long as I set the font to Normyn, there weas only
          one infelicity. When I upgraded to Word 97, which I still use as my daily
          workhorse, I found that the files were hardly usable no matter what I did.
          For that reason I found it prudent to retain Word 95 on my system just for
          the Pali Tipitaka. However, when I obtained the Vipassana CD, I was able to
          delete both Word 95 and the Normyn based files (I never liked the Normyn
          font anyway). Although the Vipassana CD also uses non-Unicode fonts --
          which is tedious -- I can use it with no difficulty. Cut and paste works
          fine as well, providing I select one of the VRI fonts, although I chose to
          then convert into Unicode.

          Best wishes,
          Stephen Hodge
        • nina van gorkom
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
            Dear June and Rett,
            I prefer tipitaka org, but tried the other, jbe.gold.ac.uk, but the latter
            one, which has a tool for iMac that I used, downloads the whole doc at once,
            and I prefer just one sutta or so. My memory may collapse if it is so much
            at once, hundreds of pages, the greater part of Yamaka.
            I am very keen to know when the tipitaka org comes back. They have co and
            tiikas.
            I cannot work with fonts, I intended to use search and replace command, but
            I could not copy some strange signs on my command: search. Later on I may
            ask Eric who kindly offered help to us.
            Nina.
            op 01-12-2003 11:03 schreef june_tg op june_tg@...:

            > Thanks for the info...is this the site where the pali canon is
            > available in pali?...have you ever tried downloading the pali canon
            > from: http://jbe.gold.ac.uk/pali/Win95/
          • june_tg
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
              dear rett,

              thanks for your help...still doesn't work, so i'm giving up :) i'll
              just wait for the tipitaka.org to come back!

              have a nice day!
              june

              ---
              > If I understand your question then you want to choose "plain text"
              > format. (Or something like that. My copy of Word isn't in English,
              so
              > menus and other options have different names).
              >
              > hope that works,
              >
              > --Rett
            • june_tg
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                Hi Eric

                Its very kind of you to have taken the time to explain all that, thank
                you!...although it's a bit too technical for someone like me and i
                have no idea what you're talking about, but i really appreciate the
                effort! thanks :)

                june

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Van Horn" <ekvh@u...> wrote:
                > Hi, June,
                >
                > The problem may be the way in which the Normyn font is encoded. The
                VRI, CSX
                > and Normyn fonts do not use the international Unicode standard. If
                you are
                > using a non-English computer, your operating system may be using
                fonts that
                > need the character codes that are being borrowed by the Normyn font.
                For
                > example, the Pali letter "A" with the bar over it is character
                number 256 in
                > Unicode. The Norman font borrows character 238 for this character,
                which in
                > Unicode is a small letter i with a caret over it. This is one reason
                that I
                > created the Georgia and Verdana fonts. They use Unicode character
                codes.

                > I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks
                you what
                > encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding
                that
                > Word would understand.
                >
                > Eric

                com/info/terms/
              • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� �������
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                  Hi June,

                  You may find Tipitaka at:

                  http://nibbanam.com/palikanon.htm (PDF files)
                  or
                  http://www.budsir.org/ (BUDSIR, Mahidol University, Thailand)

                  Best wishes,
                  Dimitry http://dhamma.ru/sadhu/
                • Eric Van Horn
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                    Hi, June,

                    I didn't mean to give you too much information. :) The basic idea is that
                    every character has a code - a number - associated with it. The letter
                    capital letter "A," for example is number 65, the letter capital "B" is 66,
                    and so forth.

                    The problem - I believe - is that different Pali fonts use different codes
                    to represent the extended Pali characters. If your Pali document expects the
                    n with a dot under it to be one code, but computer is already using that
                    code for something else, then there is a conflict. This is very likely if
                    you have a non-English computer.

                    Does that make sense?

                    com/info/terms/

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 20, 2003
                      Dear Nina and friends,

                      I have written this time to the webmaster of dhamma.org regarding
                      the "missing site" of tipitaka.org, and here is the reply.

                      metta,
                      Yong Peng

                      Hello Ong Yong,

                      Thank you for your email. The local webmaster is aware of the issue
                      and is working to correct the problem.

                      Many thanks,
                      Gino
                      Acting webmaster

                      I am writing to ask about the Pali Tipitaka website at
                      http://www.tipitaka.org hosted by VRI. It seems to have been taken
                      over by a marketing company.

                      May I know will it be back?

                      Thanks and regards,
                      Ong Yong Peng.
                    • nina van gorkom
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 21, 2003
                        Thank you for letting us know, I am following it.
                        Nina

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 28, 2003
                          Dear Nina and friends,

                          the Tipitaka website is online now: