Re: Pali Word by Word 2003/48 [023]

    Message 1 of 251 , Dec 1, 2003
      Bhante, and friends

      thanks, I check the PTS version (PTS2.290), and it has the spelling
      as the Thai version. Hence,

      Eva.m me suta.m - eka.m samaya.m bhagavaa kuruusu viharati
      thus / by me / have heard / one / time / the Blessed One / in Kuru
      Thus have I heard - at one time, the Blessed One lives in the Kuru
      country,

      kammaasadamma.m naama kuruuna.m nigamo (hoti/atthi).
      Kammasadamma / named / of Kuru / market town (there is)
      there is a (Kuru's) market town named Kammasadamma.

      metta,
      Yong Peng

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, pakdi limsuwan wrote:
      The 1st ends at viharati and in this phrase kusuusu is a state or a
      collective noun of people; nigamo is just a market town (sing) of or
      in kuruusu and this town is named kammaasadamma.m (N.B. in the thai
      version it is spelled ..damma.m... not dhamm.m). In other word
      the 2nd phrase seems to be ," (kuruusu) kammaasadamma.m naama
      kuruuna.m nigamo (hoti or atthi)" = (in kuruusu) there is a market
      town of kuru people named kammaasadamma.m.
      Message 251 of 251 , Mar 31, 2004
        Dear Nina and friends,

        thanks for that, Nina.

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        > would you tell us roughly what the comparison is about? Thanks
        again.
        > what in comparison, lord, can these five hundred carts do... etc.
        > Wheel 67-69: What, O lord, are five hundred carts- nay six, seven...
        > etc...compared with this?
        N:
        28: Now what think you Pukusa, which is the more difficult thing to
        do or to meet with - that a man, being conscious and awake, should
        neither see , nor hear the sound of five hundred cars passing by...or
        that a man, being conscious and awake, should neither see, nor hear
        the sound thereof when the falling rain goes on beating splashing,
        and the lightnings are flashing forth, and the thunderbolts are
        crashing?

        We read, <Then, Pukkusa, the thought occurred to that man:- "How
        wonderful a thing it is, and marvellous, that those who have gone
        forth out of the world should pass their time in a state of mind so
        calm!-...">

        Thus, it is more difficult not to hear the sound of rain and thunder,
        but this occurs when a high degree of calm is reached.