[Pali] Re: tipitaka.org

  • Everett Thiele
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
      >...have you ever tried downloading the pali canon
      >from: http://jbe.gold.ac.uk/pali/Win95/
      >
      >It seems they are word files, but I am having problems with the font,
      >even though I have already installed the font they suggested....have
      >you ever tried this?

      I've used those files. If you've got the Normyn font installed, you
      still might need to use 'mark all' on the entire body of the text,
      and then switch to the Normyn font (from within Word).

      hope this helps,

      --Rett
    • june_tg
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
        hi.

        thanks for your reply.

        > I've used those files. If you've got the Normyn font installed, you
        > still might need to use 'mark all' on the entire body of the text,
        > and then switch to the Normyn font (from within Word).

        it looks better now, but still can't read certain words...which
        encoding did you choose? word is asking me to select an encoding.

        > hope this helps,

        yup it did thanks.

        june
      • Everett Thiele
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003

          >> I've used those files. If you've got the Normyn font installed, you
          >> still might need to use 'mark all' on the entire body of the text,
          >> and then switch to the Normyn font (from within Word).
          >>

          >it looks better now, but still can't read certain words...which
          >encoding did you choose? word is asking me to select an encoding.

          If I understand your question then you want to choose "plain text"
          format. (Or something like that. My copy of Word isn't in English, so
          menus and other options have different names).

          hope that works,

          --Rett
        • Eric Van Horn
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
            Hi, June,

            The problem may be the way in which the Normyn font is encoded. The VRI, CSX
            and Normyn fonts do not use the international Unicode standard. If you are
            using a non-English computer, your operating system may be using fonts that
            need the character codes that are being borrowed by the Normyn font. For
            example, the Pali letter "A" with the bar over it is character number 256 in
            Unicode. The Norman font borrows character 238 for this character, which in
            Unicode is a small letter i with a caret over it. This is one reason that I
            created the Georgia and Verdana fonts. They use Unicode character codes.

            I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks you what
            encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding that
            Word would understand.

            Eric

            > I've used those files. If you've got the Normyn font installed, you
            > still might need to use 'mark all' on the entire body of the text,
            > and then switch to the Normyn font (from within Word).

            it looks better now, but still can't read certain words...which
            encoding did you choose? word is asking me to select an encoding.

            > hope this helps,

            yup it did thanks.

            june

          • Stephen Hodge
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
              Eric Van Horn wrote:

              > I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks you what
              > encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding that
              > Word would understand.
              When I first downloaded the version in question of the Pali canon, I was
              still using Word 95. As long as I set the font to Normyn, there weas only
              one infelicity. When I upgraded to Word 97, which I still use as my daily
              workhorse, I found that the files were hardly usable no matter what I did.
              For that reason I found it prudent to retain Word 95 on my system just for
              the Pali Tipitaka. However, when I obtained the Vipassana CD, I was able to
              delete both Word 95 and the Normyn based files (I never liked the Normyn
              font anyway). Although the Vipassana CD also uses non-Unicode fonts --
              which is tedious -- I can use it with no difficulty. Cut and paste works
              fine as well, providing I select one of the VRI fonts, although I chose to
              then convert into Unicode.

              Best wishes,
              Stephen Hodge
            • nina van gorkom
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                Dear June and Rett,
                I prefer tipitaka org, but tried the other, jbe.gold.ac.uk, but the latter
                one, which has a tool for iMac that I used, downloads the whole doc at once,
                and I prefer just one sutta or so. My memory may collapse if it is so much
                at once, hundreds of pages, the greater part of Yamaka.
                I am very keen to know when the tipitaka org comes back. They have co and
                tiikas.
                I cannot work with fonts, I intended to use search and replace command, but
                I could not copy some strange signs on my command: search. Later on I may
                ask Eric who kindly offered help to us.
                Nina.

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                  dear rett,

                  thanks for your help...still doesn't work, so i'm giving up :) i'll
                  just wait for the tipitaka.org to come back!

                  have a nice day!
                  june

                  ---
                  > If I understand your question then you want to choose "plain text"
                  > format. (Or something like that. My copy of Word isn't in English,
                  so
                  > menus and other options have different names).
                  >
                  > hope that works,
                  >
                  > --Rett
                • june_tg
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                    Hi Eric

                    Its very kind of you to have taken the time to explain all that, thank
                    you!...although it's a bit too technical for someone like me and i
                    have no idea what you're talking about, but i really appreciate the
                    effort! thanks :)

                    june

                    --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Van Horn" <ekvh@u...> wrote:
                    > Hi, June,
                    >
                    > The problem may be the way in which the Normyn font is encoded. The
                    VRI, CSX
                    > and Normyn fonts do not use the international Unicode standard. If
                    you are
                    > using a non-English computer, your operating system may be using
                    fonts that
                    > need the character codes that are being borrowed by the Normyn font.
                    For
                    > example, the Pali letter "A" with the bar over it is character
                    number 256 in
                    > Unicode. The Norman font borrows character 238 for this character,
                    which in
                    > Unicode is a small letter i with a caret over it. This is one reason
                    that I
                    > created the Georgia and Verdana fonts. They use Unicode character
                    codes.

                    > I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks
                    you what
                    > encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding
                    that
                    > Word would understand.
                    >
                    > Eric

                    com/info/terms/
                  • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� ��������
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                      Hi June,

                      You may find Tipitaka at:

                      http://nibbanam.com/palikanon.htm (PDF files)
                      or
                      http://www.budsir.org/ (BUDSIR, Mahidol University, Thailand)

                      Best wishes,
                      Dimitry http://dhamma.ru/sadhu/
                    • Eric Van Horn
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                        Hi, June,

                        I didn't mean to give you too much information. :) The basic idea is that
                        every character has a code - a number - associated with it. The letter
                        capital letter "A," for example is number 65, the letter capital "B" is 66,
                        and so forth.

                        The problem - I believe - is that different Pali fonts use different codes
                        to represent the extended Pali characters. If your Pali document expects the
                        n with a dot under it to be one code, but computer is already using that
                        code for something else, then there is a conflict. This is very likely if
                        you have a non-English computer.

                        Does that make sense?

                        com/info/terms/

                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 20, 2003
                          Dear Nina and friends,

                          I have written this time to the webmaster of dhamma.org regarding
                          the "missing site" of tipitaka.org, and here is the reply.

                          metta,
                          Yong Peng

                          Hello Ong Yong,

                          Thank you for your email. The local webmaster is aware of the issue
                          and is working to correct the problem.

                          Many thanks,
                          Gino
                          Acting webmaster

                          I am writing to ask about the Pali Tipitaka website at
                          http://www.tipitaka.org hosted by VRI. It seems to have been taken
                          over by a marketing company.

                          May I know will it be back?

                          Thanks and regards,
                          Ong Yong Peng.
                        • nina van gorkom
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 21, 2003
                            Thank you for letting us know, I am following it.
                            Nina

                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 28, 2003
                              Dear Nina and friends,

                              the Tipitaka website is online now: