Re: tipitaka.org

  • june_tg
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
      Hi

      How are you?

      Thanks for the info...is this the site where the pali canon is
      available in pali?...have you ever tried downloading the pali canon
      from: http://jbe.gold.ac.uk/pali/Win95/

      It seems they are word files, but I am having problems with the font,
      even though I have already installed the font they suggested....have
      you ever tried this?

      Thanks
      June

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Ong Yong Peng" <ypong001@y...> wrote:
      > Dear friends,
      >
      > I discovered some problem with the CSCD website
      > http://www.tipitaka.org
      >
      > I have written to VRI, which publishes the CSCD and maintains the
      > site. Mr. R. S. Goenka replied saying, I quote,
      >
      > "There is some problem in our server. It will take some time to
      > rectify it."
      >
      > metta,
      > Yong Peng
    • Everett Thiele
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
        >...have you ever tried downloading the pali canon
        >from: http://jbe.gold.ac.uk/pali/Win95/
        >
        >It seems they are word files, but I am having problems with the font,
        >even though I have already installed the font they suggested....have
        >you ever tried this?

        I've used those files. If you've got the Normyn font installed, you
        still might need to use 'mark all' on the entire body of the text,
        and then switch to the Normyn font (from within Word).

        hope this helps,

        --Rett
      • june_tg
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
          hi.

          thanks for your reply.

          > I've used those files. If you've got the Normyn font installed, you
          > still might need to use 'mark all' on the entire body of the text,
          > and then switch to the Normyn font (from within Word).

          it looks better now, but still can't read certain words...which
          encoding did you choose? word is asking me to select an encoding.

          > hope this helps,

          yup it did thanks.

          june
        • Everett Thiele
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003

            >> I've used those files. If you've got the Normyn font installed, you
            >> still might need to use 'mark all' on the entire body of the text,
            >> and then switch to the Normyn font (from within Word).
            >>

            >it looks better now, but still can't read certain words...which
            >encoding did you choose? word is asking me to select an encoding.

            If I understand your question then you want to choose "plain text"
            format. (Or something like that. My copy of Word isn't in English, so
            menus and other options have different names).

            hope that works,

            --Rett
          • Eric Van Horn
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
              Hi, June,

              The problem may be the way in which the Normyn font is encoded. The VRI, CSX
              and Normyn fonts do not use the international Unicode standard. If you are
              using a non-English computer, your operating system may be using fonts that
              need the character codes that are being borrowed by the Normyn font. For
              example, the Pali letter "A" with the bar over it is character number 256 in
              Unicode. The Norman font borrows character 238 for this character, which in
              Unicode is a small letter i with a caret over it. This is one reason that I
              created the Georgia and Verdana fonts. They use Unicode character codes.

              I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks you what
              encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding that
              Word would understand.

              Eric

              > I've used those files. If you've got the Normyn font installed, you
              > still might need to use 'mark all' on the entire body of the text,
              > and then switch to the Normyn font (from within Word).

              it looks better now, but still can't read certain words...which
              encoding did you choose? word is asking me to select an encoding.

              > hope this helps,

              yup it did thanks.

              june

            • Stephen Hodge
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                Eric Van Horn wrote:

                > I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks you what
                > encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding that
                > Word would understand.
                When I first downloaded the version in question of the Pali canon, I was
                still using Word 95. As long as I set the font to Normyn, there weas only
                one infelicity. When I upgraded to Word 97, which I still use as my daily
                workhorse, I found that the files were hardly usable no matter what I did.
                For that reason I found it prudent to retain Word 95 on my system just for
                the Pali Tipitaka. However, when I obtained the Vipassana CD, I was able to
                delete both Word 95 and the Normyn based files (I never liked the Normyn
                font anyway). Although the Vipassana CD also uses non-Unicode fonts --
                which is tedious -- I can use it with no difficulty. Cut and paste works
                fine as well, providing I select one of the VRI fonts, although I chose to
                then convert into Unicode.

                Best wishes,
                Stephen Hodge
              • nina van gorkom
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Dear June and Rett,
                  I prefer tipitaka org, but tried the other, jbe.gold.ac.uk, but the latter
                  one, which has a tool for iMac that I used, downloads the whole doc at once,
                  and I prefer just one sutta or so. My memory may collapse if it is so much
                  at once, hundreds of pages, the greater part of Yamaka.
                  I am very keen to know when the tipitaka org comes back. They have co and
                  tiikas.
                  I cannot work with fonts, I intended to use search and replace command, but
                  I could not copy some strange signs on my command: search. Later on I may
                  ask Eric who kindly offered help to us.
                  Nina.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                    dear rett,

                    thanks for your help...still doesn't work, so i'm giving up :) i'll
                    just wait for the tipitaka.org to come back!

                    have a nice day!
                    june

                    ---
                    > If I understand your question then you want to choose "plain text"
                    > format. (Or something like that. My copy of Word isn't in English,
                    so
                    > menus and other options have different names).
                    >
                    > hope that works,
                    >
                    > --Rett
                  • june_tg
                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 2, 2003
                      Hi Eric

                      Its very kind of you to have taken the time to explain all that, thank
                      you!...although it's a bit too technical for someone like me and i
                      have no idea what you're talking about, but i really appreciate the
                      effort! thanks :)

                      june

                      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Van Horn" <ekvh@u...> wrote:
                      > Hi, June,
                      >
                      > The problem may be the way in which the Normyn font is encoded. The
                      VRI, CSX
                      > and Normyn fonts do not use the international Unicode standard. If
                      you are
                      > using a non-English computer, your operating system may be using
                      fonts that
                      > need the character codes that are being borrowed by the Normyn font.
                      For
                      > example, the Pali letter "A" with the bar over it is character
                      number 256 in
                      > Unicode. The Norman font borrows character 238 for this character,
                      which in
                      > Unicode is a small letter i with a caret over it. This is one reason
                      that I
                      > created the Georgia and Verdana fonts. They use Unicode character
                      codes.

                      > I'm not sure that there is a correct answer for Word when it asks
                      you what
                      > encoding to use. None of the non-Unicode Pali fonts use an encoding
                      that
                      > Word would understand.
                      >
                      > Eric

                      com/info/terms/
                    • Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (������� �������
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                        Hi June,

                        You may find Tipitaka at:

                        http://nibbanam.com/palikanon.htm (PDF files)
                        or
                        http://www.budsir.org/ (BUDSIR, Mahidol University, Thailand)

                        Best wishes,
                        Dimitry http://dhamma.ru/sadhu/
                      • Eric Van Horn
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 3, 2003
                          Hi, June,

                          I didn't mean to give you too much information. :) The basic idea is that
                          every character has a code - a number - associated with it. The letter
                          capital letter "A," for example is number 65, the letter capital "B" is 66,
                          and so forth.

                          The problem - I believe - is that different Pali fonts use different codes
                          to represent the extended Pali characters. If your Pali document expects the
                          n with a dot under it to be one code, but computer is already using that
                          code for something else, then there is a conflict. This is very likely if
                          you have a non-English computer.

                          Does that make sense?

                          com/info/terms/

                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 20, 2003
                            Dear Nina and friends,

                            I have written this time to the webmaster of dhamma.org regarding
                            the "missing site" of tipitaka.org, and here is the reply.

                            metta,
                            Yong Peng

                            Hello Ong Yong,

                            Thank you for your email. The local webmaster is aware of the issue
                            and is working to correct the problem.

                            Many thanks,
                            Gino
                            Acting webmaster

                            I am writing to ask about the Pali Tipitaka website at
                            http://www.tipitaka.org hosted by VRI. It seems to have been taken
                            over by a marketing company.

                            May I know will it be back?

                            Thanks and regards,
                            Ong Yong Peng.
                          • nina van gorkom
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 21, 2003
                              Thank you for letting us know, I am following it.
                              Nina

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 28, 2003
                                Dear Nina and friends,

                                the Tipitaka website is online now: