self-introduction

  • bhikkhu pandita
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 21, 2003
      Dear fellow members,
      I am a new member of this group. I was lately a teacher of Pali at the International Theravada Buddhist Missionary University (ITBMU), Yangon, Myanmar. I am at Taipei (Taiwan) at present.
      You all are welcome to post any question or discussion to me.

    • rjkjp1
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 22, 2003
        Wow, really excellent! Thanks for the very kind offer, Venerable.
        Robert

        In Pali@yahoogroups.com, bhikkhu pandita <bhikkhu_pandita@y...>
        wrote:
        > Dear fellow members,
        > I am a new member of this group. I was lately a teacher of Pali at
        the International Theravada Buddhist Missionary University (ITBMU),
        Yangon, Myanmar. I am at Taipei (Taiwan) at present.
        > You all are welcome to post any question or discussion to me.

      • Nanapalo
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 23, 2003
          Ven. Bhante,
          greatly appreciate.
          anumodana.

          muditacittena,
          selamat rodjali

          > I am a new member of this group. I was lately a teacher of Pali at the
          International Theravada Buddhist Missionary University (ITBMU), Yangon,
          Myanmar. I am at Taipei (Taiwan) at present.
          > You all are welcome to post any question or discussion to me.

        • nina van gorkom
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 23, 2003
            Venerable bhikkhu Pandita,
            It is so kind of you to offer help. It is a privilege for us all that you
            have become a member of this list. We would be very grateful for any help or
            correction you would care to give,
            Thank you for your kindness,
            with respect,
            Nina.
            op 22-11-2003 06:42 schreef bhikkhu pandita op bhikkhu_pandita@...:

            > Dear fellow members,
            > I am a new member of this group. I was lately a teacher of Pali at the
            > International Theravada Buddhist Missionary University (ITBMU), Yangon,
            > Myanmar. I am at Taipei (Taiwan) at present.
            > You all are welcome to post any question or discussion to me.

          • Sister Bhadra
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12 7:05 PM
              I am joining this group to get in touch with Venerable Pandita. He is my Pali teacher in 2003 while we were in Pa Auk Tawya Meditation Center. I had sent an email message to him but I am not sure whether I had the right address because I did not hear from him until now. So this is a message to Venerable Pandita:
              Dear Venerable Sir,
              How are you getting on?
              I had read some of yours messages and came to know that you had lost some of yours data. So I am happy to let you know that I had converted all yours notes to Unicode encoding, made some styles and corrected some errors. Please let me know how to send you the notes.
              I like the Unicode encoding system so my project will has to be in a system running Internet Explorer 5 or above which is able to handle Unicode font and XML files. I had made something for the Declensions. I would like to hear your comment.
              My email address is shibhadra@.... I only surf the net once a week. I may be going back to Pa Auk in September.
              Mettaaya
              Bhadra

              Message to All
              We are so fortunate to know about nibbaana. Please take only nibbaana with ours right view, right thought, right action, right speech, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness and right concentration. Only then we are able to say we are taking the middle path that is being shown by the Lord Buddha. Remember this as ours one and only aim in ours this very life to achieve " Knowledge and vision arose in me: Unshakable is my liberation of mind. This is my last birth. Now there is no more renewed existence for me."
              Saadhu! Saadhu! Saadhu!

            • TAN BEE EAN
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 13 6:02 PM
                Yes, we are fortunate to have followed the right path towards the achievement of Nibbaana. Saadhu! saadhu! Saadhu!
                From, Ang

                Sister Bhadra <shibhadra@...> wrote:
[...]

                Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
                [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

                Pali Theravada buddhism Beyond belief Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism

              • Ashin Pandita
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 15 7:04 AM
                  Dear Bhadra

                  I am glad to hear from you again!

                  You wrote:
                  > I am joining this group to get in touch with Venerable Pandita. He is my Pali teacher in 2003 while we were in Pa Auk Tawya Meditation Center. I had sent an email message to him but I am not sure whether I had the right address because I did not hear from him until now.
                  Actually what you had was my first Yahoo address. I made another Yahoo
                  address, which was easier to remember, and used it; but I failed to
                  notify others. Afterwards I moved to Gmail; my primary address is
                  ashinpan@.... It was entirely my fault that your message failed to
                  reach me.

                  > I had read some of yours messages and came to know that you had lost some of yours data. So I am happy to let you know that I had converted all yours notes to Unicode encoding, made some styles and corrected some errors. Please let me know how to send you the notes.

                  The data I have lost is what I have researched in Sri Lanka for my
                  thesis. Thanks a lot any way.
                  > I like the Unicode encoding system so my project will has to be in a system running Internet Explorer 5 or above which is able to handle Unicode font and XML files.
                  Have you tested it with Firefox, Opera, etc.? (They are alternatives to
                  Internet Explorer) I'd like to advise that you should stick to industry
                  standards rather than working for IE only.
                  > I had made something for the Declensions.
                  You might remember that our proposed project arose out of my frustration
                  in having to force my students to memorize declension tables, etc.. Our
                  objectives have been:
                  1. To get all possible noun stems and case-endings from the input of a noun
                  2. To get all possible verbal stems, verbal endings, and paradigmatic
                  forms from the input of a conjugated verb
                  3. To set up a dictionary available in the public domain to help the
                  user to find the actual components of the noun or verb submitted as
                  input (To be implemented after achieving the former two)

                  You proposed to use Visual Foxpro, and I agreed.

                  However, I have changed my mind. I now believe that cross-platform
                  compatibility is very important. For instance, there are many Mac and
                  Linux users in this group. I myself am using Linux on my machine.
                  Persons like us cannot use Windows-only programs.

                  So I think you should avoid a Windows-centric approach if you are to
                  have your software as useful as possible. At present, developing on Java
                  would be the best approach --- you can use the resulting software on any
                  machine having the Java runtime environment. What do you think?
                  > I would like to hear your comment.
                  > My email address is shibhadra@.... I only surf the net once a week. I may be going back to Pa Auk in September.

                  Please send me whatever you have to send to my address as an off-list post.

                  with metta

                  Ven. Pandita
                • Harry Liew
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 15 4:41 PM
                    Dear Ven. Pandita, Badra, and friends,

                    Your objectives 1 to 3 are the materials that I was looking for a few months ago as a beginner searching blindly through the internet for information on learning Pali through self study. In the end, anything that has the words "Pali, learn, study" were downloaded.

                    Your discussion remind me of the headeache in organizing the downloaded Pali learning materials into a cohesive content system so that time is not wasted in searching for them in the local computer.

                    A crude desktop organizer was created to reduce the headeache. As it might be useful to other beginners, it was refined into a Pali Content Management System for beginners available for download at the group repository.

                    During system analysis and design, one of the main problems is the database and delivery system. Many simple databases were considered based on simple resources available to the end users ranging from text file to xml. In the end the search was narrowed down to using html as the database and delivery mechanism since update is not a frequent problem as compared to news item. Html is simple to build and operate, and is independent of any operaing system.

                    Please kindly let me know if you need a volunteer.

                    Metta,

                    Harry

                    Ashin Pandita <ashinpan@...> wrote:
                    Dear Bhadra

                    thesis. Thanks a lot any way.

                    ---------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 18 10:05 PM
                      Dear Ven. Pandita, Harry, Badra and friends,

                      it is also one of the objectives of Pali Scope to include the
                      paradigms of all verbs, nouns and pronouns.

                      According to the word list generated by Lennart (see msg#9807), there
                      are above 900,000 unqiue words in the Tipitaka. The long list takes
                      up 26,382 pages when opened in MS Word! I worked that out to be
                      approximately 976,134 unique word forms. Based on my understanding of
                      the Pali language and the texts, I worked out a conservative estimate
                      of 43,000 uninflected words (I suspect the actual number to be less,
                      there are roughly 20,000 entries in PED).

                      I suggest that we work together to set these up, which will be very
                      useful for Pali students.