Re: [Pali] effortless quiet

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2003
      Dear Dimitri and Connie,
      Thank you Dimitri.
      Let me analyse it: nir is negation. Ussaha is effort. Santa: calm, and
      bhaava: nature, state.
      op 05-11-2003 07:34 schreef Dimitry A. Ivakhnenko (Äìèòðèé Àëåêñååâè÷
      Èâàõíåíêî) op koleso@...:

      > nirussaahasantabhaava'.
    • connie
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
        Dear Dimitri, Everett and Nina,

        Thank you very much.

        I hadn't really considered that someone might be trying to make a
        different point by having a word as a compound or as separate words
        (ruupakkhandha, ruupa khanda). I just thought it was more of a
        convenience for the reader type consideration. I'll have to think about
        that next time I see the 'same' words spelled differently in the same
        writing... which in my case is already in English for the most part. I
        join the others who have stated that this list is their main Pali
        teacher and add my thank you's for that as well.

        Someone had suggested to me that 'effortless quiet' might be something
        like 'wind-flowers' (puppham?) ... perhaps as Nina quoted from Ven.
        Narada... 'like fruits which have ripened and flowers which have
        bloomed' and 'a cool breeze that pacifies'.

        I asked thinking that once I knew the word, I could look it up, but who
        knows how long it would have taken me to figure out how to break
        nirussaahasantabhaava down without help!

        peace,
        connie
      • connie
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 13, 2003
          Dear Nina and Dimitry,
          Would it be ok if I include your answers on effortless quiet in a post
          to DSList?
          Thank you,
          connie
        • nina van gorkom
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 14, 2003
            Dear Connie,
            But of course it is OK for me,
            Nina.
            op 13-11-2003 21:38 schreef connie op nichicon@...:

            > Dear Nina and Dimitry,
            > Would it be ok if I include your answers on effortless quiet in a post
            > to DSList?
          • connie
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 16, 2003
              Dear Nina and Dimitry,
              Thank you again for the answers and letting me forward them to DSlist.
              peace,
              connie