Pali - Every few days - [B086]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2003
      Pali - Every few days - [B086]
      Gair/Karunatillake - Chapter 5 � Further Readings
      Ex. 1. (Part 1 of 4)

      �Chahi, bhikkhave, dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu
      aahuneyyo hoti paahuneyyo dakkhi.neyyo
      a~njalikara.niiyo, anuttara.m pu~n~nakkhetta.m
      lokassa.
      Endowed with six mental qualities, monks, a monk is
      venerable, worthy of hospitality, offerings, and
      respectful salutation, and is an incomparable sphere
      of merit for the world.

      Katamehi chahi?
      What are these six?

      Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu cakkhunaa ruupa.m disvaa
      n�eva sumano hoti na dummano, upekkhako viharati sato
      sampajaano.
      Here, monks, a monk having seen form with his eye, is
      not thus of a happy mind, nor an unhappy mind, but
      abides equanimous, mindful, and fully aware.

      Metta,
      John

      http://shopping.yahoo.com
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 15, 2003
        Dear Jon,
        I am very glad with the Mangalasutta, suitable for memorizing. It is one of
        my favorites. Only we did not get the last stanzas, and I would like to have
        them if it is no trouble. I like the one on the loka dhammas! We need such
        reminders.
        Thank you very much,
        Nina.
        John Kelly op palistudent@...:

        Khantii ca sovacassataa - sama.naana~nca dassana.m;
        kaalena dhammasaakacchaa - eta.m ma.mgalamuttama.m.
        Patience and gentleness – the visiting of recluses;
        Discussion of the doctrine at the right time - this is
        the highest blessing.
        (Snp 2.4. Ma.mgalasutta.m)
      • John Kelly
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2003
          Nina wrote:
          >I am very glad with the Mangalasutta, suitable for
          >memorizing. It is one of
          >my favorites. Only we did not get the last stanzas,
          >and I
          >would like to have
          >them if it is no trouble. I like the one on the loka
          >dhammas! We need such
          >reminders.
          >Thank you very much,
          >Nina.

          JK: Dear Nina - I too love the Mangala Sutta and have
          been trying to memorize it. However, what I sent to
          the list was simply the few verses of it that were
          selected by Gair in his book - for which I have been
          sending my answers. At some point, I will send the
          entire sutta (preferably in tri-linear form) to the
          list.
          Warm wishes,
          John

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • nina van gorkom
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 19, 2003
            Dear Jon,
            I understand. Very good if you can send the whole sutta later on, whenever
            it is convenient.
            With appreciation,
            Nina.