Co. Mahaaraahulovaadasutta 16 B

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2003
      Co. Mahaaraahulovaadasutta 16 B

      Commentary 16 B

      *****
      Relevant Sutta passage:
      Atha kho aayasmaa Raahulo saayanhasamaya.m pa.tisallaanaa vu.t.thito....
      Then, at evening time, the venerable Rahula got up from solitude

      words:
      pahi.naati: to send
      saya.m: self, by oneself.
      janeti: to produce
      omaana (m): self-disrespect
      atimaana (m): pride
      abhimatthati, abhimantheti: crush, rub, produce by friction (fire).
      nirantara.m: continuously
      garahaa (f): reproach
      kakkha.la: rough, harsh
      pii.la (n): oppression, injury
      uppatti (f): origin, coming forth.
      vidhaana (n): performance, process

      Commentary text:

      tassa panaayasmato -- ``bhagavaa ma.m vihaare ohiina.m
      jaanantopi
      However, the following thoughts did not occur to the venerable Rahula:
      ³Although the Blessed One knows that I am left behind in the monastery,

      attanaa laddhapi.n.dapaata.m naapi saya.m gahetvaa aagato,
      he has not, after he has personally received alsmfood, taken it and come
      himself,

      na a~n~nassa hatthe pahi.ni, na manussaana.m sa~n~na.m adaasi,
      nor did he send me food through someone else, nor did he inform others about
      it,

      upajjhaayopi me ohiinabhaava.m jaananto tatheva na ki~nci akaasii''ti
      cittampi na uppanna.m.
      nor indeed did my preceptor do anything at all, although he knows that I am
      left behind.²

      kuto tappaccayaa omaana.m vaa atimaana.m vaa janessati.

      Why should he because of that arouse self-disrespect or pride?

      bhagavataa pana aacikkhitakamma.t.thaanameva purebhattampi pacchaabhattampi
      --
      Rahula contemplated the meditation subject that was explained to him by the
      Blessed One before and after his meal thus:

      ``itipi ruupa.m anicca.m, itipi dukkha.m, itipi asubha.m, itipi anattaa''ti
      ³Materiality truly is impermanent, it truly is unsatisfactory, it truly is
      foul, it truly is non-self².

      aggi.m abhimatthento viya nirantara.m manasikatvaa saayanhasamaye cintesi --

      After he had contemplated this continuously, just as someone who tries to
      kindle a fire, the following thoughts occurred to him towards evening:

      ``aha.m upajjhaayena aanaapaanassati.m bhaavehiiti vutto,
      ³Since my preceptor has told me to develop mindfulness of breathing,

      tassa vacana.m karissaami. aacariyupajjhaayaana~nhi vacana.m akaronto
      dubbaco naama hoti.
      I shall be obedient. Someone who does not obey his teacher and his
      preceptor, is called obstinate.

      `dubbaco raahulo, upajjhaayassapi vacana.m na karotii'ti ca garahuppattito
      kakkha.lataraa pii.laa naama natthii''ti

      Nothing is more oppressive and hard than the occurrence of the reproach,
      ŒRahula is obstinate, he does not obey his preceptor.¹ ²

      bhaavanaavidhaana.m pucchitukaamo bhagavato santika.m agamaasi.
      He visited the Blessed One because he was eager to ask about the method of
      mental development.

      ta.m dassetu.m atha kho aayasmaa raahulotiaadi vutta.m.
      In order to explain this, Ananda said the words, ³then, (at evening time,)
      the venerable Rahula (got up from solitude) etc.²

      ******
      English:

      However, the following thoughts did not occur to the venerable Rahula:
      ³Although the Blessed One knows that I am left behind in the monastery,
      he has not, after he has personally received alsmfood, taken it and come
      himself,
      nor did he send me food through someone else, nor did he inform others about
      it, nor indeed did my preceptor do anything at all, although he knows that I
      am left behind.²
      Why should he because of that arouse self-disrespect or pride?
      Rahula contemplated the meditation subject that was explained to him by the
      Blessed One before and after his meal thus:
      ³Materiality truly is impermanent, it truly is unsatisfactory, it truly is
      foul, it truly is non-self².
      After he had contemplated this continuously, just as someone who tries to
      kindle
      ³ Since my preceptor has told me to develop mindfulness of breathing, I
      shall be obedient. Someone who does not obey his teacher and his preceptor,
      is called obstinate. Nothing is more oppressive and hard than the occurrence

      *******