Re: Linguistic Statistical Analysis

  • Derek Cameron
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 14, 2001
      Hi, Dimitry,

      > We can open eyes even wider and suggest that in the early version
      > there were only 4 last verses ;)

      Did you mean 4 last verses or 4 last lines?

      Each verse (siloka) of 32 syllables consists of 2 lines (paadayuga)
      of 16 syllables each, which are in turn made up of 2 paada-s of 8-
      syllables each.

      They key fact (and there are others) about the vatta meter is that
      each line (paadayuga) ends in ` - ` ` or ` - ` - (sorry, but I can't
      make the correct symbols on my keyboard so I use ` for a light
      syllable and - for a heavy one).

      Since we're talking about line (paadayuga) endings, that covers the
      end of the 2nd and 4th paada-s of each verse.

      The variants apply to each line (paadayuga), not to each verse, and
      are determined by the meter at the end of the initial paada.

      Now, I haven't mastered all the ifs and buts of scansion, so this may
      not quite be right, but for the two paadayuga of our 3rd verse I have:

      "PaƱca kaamagu.ne hitvaa piyaruupe manorame

      - ` - ` ` - - - | ` ` - ` ` - ` -

      saddhaaya gharaa nikkhamma dukkhass' antakaro bhava.

      - - ` ` - - - ` | - - - ` ` - ` `

      Both lines (paadayuga) end in the ` - ` ` or ` - ` - cadence of vatta
      meter.

      In the first line, the initial paada ends in ` - - - so this is the
      normal (pathyaa) form.

      But the second line's initial paada ends in - - - ` so that, I think,
      is the 3rd variant (vipulaa) form.

      I think!

      I do invite anyone whose studies of Pali meter are more advanced than
      mine to jump in and provide correction, if necessary.

      > It's like checking the currency: if it lights up properly in
      > ultraviolet rays, has watermarks, relief, intricate ornament and
      > foil strip, then it's most likely genuine.

      Well, that would certainly be persuasive for me, but I know that
      there are others who would argue that for them this can never be
      wholly conclusive. Doubting Thomases!

      For example, I read one brief comment on Warder's enterprise -- I
      think it may have been written by Richard H. Robinson -- that
      dismissed his entire exercise as "interesting but failed" (!) See:

      http://here-and-now.org/buddrel/netbiblio.html#5.3

      That, of course, gives no explanation for the reviewer's point of
      view. (I haven't read any longer reviews of Warder.)

      Well, sorry to go on so much about this subject.

      Derek.