Patisambhidaamagga-atthakathaa

  • Wen tzungkuen
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21, 2003
      Dear Dhamma friends

      I am trying to understand the meaning of Kha.nikasamaadhi in Pali literature and meet some problems.

      In the Pat.isambhidaamagga-at.t.hakathaa (p. 258 CSCD), it's said that

      Samaadahitvaa yathaa ce vipassatiiti appanuupcaarakhan.ikasamaadhiinam. a~n~natarena samaadhinaa pat.hamam. citasamaadhaanam. katvaa pacchaa yathaa vipassati ca. Samuccayattho ce-saddo vipassanam. samuccinoti.

      I understand the meaning of the first sentence but not the second.

      The first sentence, 'appanuupcaarakhan.ikasamaadhiinam. a~n~natarena samaadhinaa pat.hamam. citasamaadhaanam. katvaa pacchaa yathaa vipassati ca.' probably mean
      'Having firstly gotten calmness of mind by one of three concentrations, momentary, access and full concentration, he see.'

      But I totally have no idea of the second sentence.

      Anyone's help is appreciated.

      with metta

      Tzungkuen

      May you be free from mental suffering

      May you be free form physical suffering

      May you be happy

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21, 2003
        Dear Wen,
        I have this Commentary in Thai. Could you give me the part and chapter of
        your quote?
        Nina.

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 21, 2003
          Dear Nina
          Thanks for your reply.
          It is at the end of 11Magga~naan.a-niddesa-van.n.anaa in ~Naan.akathaa in Mahaavaggo.

          with metta
          Tzungkuen

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 23, 2003
            Dear Wen,
            I found the text. See below.
            op 22-09-2003 04:31 schreef Wen tzungkuen op tzungkuen@...:
            > I am trying to understand the meaning of Kha.nikasamaadhi in Pali literature
            > and meet some problems.
            N: The Visuddhimagga also refers to momentary concentration, for example, Ch
            I,6, footnote, where it is explained in the Tiika:
            <Taking this stanza as the teaching for one whose vehicle is insight does
            not imply that there is no concentration; for no insight comes about without
            momentary concentration. And again, insight should be understood as the
            three contemplations of impermanence, pain and not-self; not contemplation
            of impermanence alone.>
            There are several places in the Vis. about this subject.
            We have to look at the context of the sentences you translated.
            Patisambhidaamagga, Ch XI, The Path, in the verse:
            <If after concentrating he sees with insight,
            And likewise after insight he concentrates,
            Then insight and serenity advance
            Level and yoked together evenly...>
            In the Co just before the explanation, two meanings of jhaana are explained:
            mundane jhana concentrating on meditation subjects (kasina, etc.), and in
            the case of vipassanaa: contemplating the general characteristics
            (Impermanence, etc.). There is also lokuttara jhaana: it is absorbed in the
            characteristic of nibbaana.
            After your translated text there is an explanation of the pair of serenity
            and insight.
            Some words:

            samuccaya: accumulation, heaping up, putting together.
            samuccinoti: put together, combine.

            Now your text, but I find it difficult to translate here samuccaya, even
            with the Thai: putting together.

            > In the Pat.isambhidaamagga-at.t.hakathaa (p. 258 CSCD),
            >
            > Samaadahitvaa yathaa ce vipassatiiti
            As to the words, If after concentrating he sees with insight, this means:

            appanuupcaarakhan.ikasamaadhiinam a~n~natarena samaadhinaa pat.hamam
            katvaa, cittasamaadhaanam.
            he has first mental steadfastness with one kind of concentration or other
            such as attainment concentration, access concentration or momentaray
            concentration,

            pacchaa yathaa vipassati ca.
            and afterwards he sees with insight.

            Samuccayattho ce-saddo vipassanam samuccinoti.
            The word <if> has the meaning of combining, he combines with insight. >

            After this it is said: If, after having seen with insight, he
            concentrates....
            Thus, insight and concentration are combined. At the end it is said that
            <ce> is used in verse. As you know the text was in verse.
            I hope this helps somewhat.
            Nina.
          • Wen tzungkuen
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 28, 2003
              Dear Nina

              Thank you very much. Your explanation helps me alot. By the way, could you kindly tell me which Pali-English dictionary conatins relatively more pali words appearing especially in Atthakatha and Tika? And where could I buy the A Critical Pali Dictionary? Thanks a lot.

              with metta

              Tzungkuen

              nina van gorkom <nilo@...> wrote:
              Dear Wen,
              I found the text. See below.
              op 22-09-2003 04:31 schreef Wen tzungkuen op tzungkuen@...:
              > I am trying to understand the meaning of Kha.nikasamaadhi in Pali literature
              > and meet some problems.
              N: The Visuddhimagga also refers to momentary concentration, for example, Ch
              I,6, footnote, where it is explained in the Tiika:
              <Taking this stanza as the teaching for one whose vehicle is insight does
              not imply that there is no concentration; for no insight comes about without
              momentary concentration. And again, insight should be understood as the
              three contemplations of impermanence, pain and not-self; not contemplation
              of impermanence alone.>
              There are several places in the Vis. about this subject.
              We have to look at the context of the sentences you translated.
              Patisambhidaamagga, Ch XI, The Path, in the verse:
              <If after concentrating he sees with insight,
              And likewise after insight he concentrates,
              Then insight and serenity advance
              Level and yoked together evenly...>
              In the Co just before the explanation, two meanings of jhaana are explained:
              mundane jhana concentrating on meditation subjects (kasina, etc.), and in
              the case of vipassanaa: contemplating the general characteristics
              (Impermanence, etc.). There is also lokuttara jhaana: it is absorbed in the
              characteristic of nibbaana.
              After your translated text there is an explanation of the pair of serenity
              and insight.
              Some words:

              samuccaya: accumulation, heaping up, putting together.
              samuccinoti: put together, combine.

              Now your text, but I find it difficult to translate here samuccaya, even
              with the Thai: putting together.

              > In the Pat.isambhidaamagga-at.t.hakathaa (p. 258 CSCD),
              >
              > Samaadahitvaa yathaa ce vipassatiiti
              As to the words, If after concentrating he sees with insight, this means:

              appanuupcaarakhan.ikasamaadhiinam a~n~natarena samaadhinaa pat.hamam
              katvaa, cittasamaadhaanam.
              he has first mental steadfastness with one kind of concentration or other
              such as attainment concentration, access concentration or momentaray
              concentration,

              pacchaa yathaa vipassati ca.
              and afterwards he sees with insight.

              Samuccayattho ce-saddo vipassanam samuccinoti.
              The word <if> has the meaning of combining, he combines with insight. >

              After this it is said: If, after having seen with insight, he
              concentrates....
              Thus, insight and concentration are combined. At the end it is said that
              <ce> is used in verse. As you know the text was in verse.
              I hope this helps somewhat.
              Nina.

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
                Dear Tzungkuen,
                op 28-09-2003 11:34 schreef Wen tzungkuen op tzungkuen@...:

                > By the way, could you kindly tell me which Pali-English dictionary conatins
                > relatively more pali words appearing especially in Atthakatha and Tika? And
                > where could I buy the A Critical Pali Dictionary?
                N: Just recently someone asked for a Pali Pali Dictionary, and a reference
                was gioven. They are those ancient treatises, like Abhidhaamappadiipikaa,
                and the Saddaniti. I would like a link if they are on line, but I do not
                know. These would be the answer to problems in translating.
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
                  Dear Tzungkuen,

                  I was told you could order the CPD from Harrassowitz in Germany. I have
                  tried to order them through local bookshops but having difficulties even
                  now.

                  Sukhi.

                  Piya

                  > > By the way, could you kindly tell me which Pali-English dictionary
                  conatins
                  > > relatively more pali words appearing especially in Atthakatha and Tika?
                  And
                  > > where could I buy the A Critical Pali Dictionary?
                  > N: Just recently someone asked for a Pali Pali Dictionary, and a
                  reference
                  > was gioven. They are those ancient treatises, like Abhidhaamappadiipikaa,
                  > and the Saddaniti. I would like a link if they are on line, but I do not
                  > know. These would be the answer to problems in translating.
                  > Nina.

                • Ttzungkuen Wen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 29, 2003
                    Dear Piya

                    I contact with that company and it seems that they can't sell CPD to me due to some policy, I don't understand.

                    with metta

                    Tzungkuen
                    -----------------
                    Dear Tzungkuen Wen,

                    we thank you for your last inquiry of which we attach a copy to this
                    message.
                    Harrassowitz had to decide to restrict and in most cases even to
                    eliminate
                    service to private customers.
                    We have to restrict it to publications issued in the countries of
                    Germany,
                    Austria and Switzerland, in other words, to titles originating from the
                    German language area.

                    Only German/Swiss/Austrian titles will be supplied to you. For the
                    other
                    titles we will have to ask you to contact other booksellers, probably
                    best
                    in the respective countries of origin.

                    With our thanks for your understanding,

                    Annette Bartsch

                    To:
                    abartsch@...
                    cc:
                    Subject: Re: n.C: Wen /
                    Ordering a book
                    Ttzungkuen Wen
                    <tzungkuen@...>

                    09/29/2003 03:48 PM

                    Dear Annette Bartsch
                    Thanks for your reply. I also want to buy another book--
                    Critical Pali Dictionary" Begun by V.Trenckner, Revised, Continued, and
                    Edited by Dines Andersen, Helmer Smith, and Hans Hendriksen Published
                    by
                    The Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Leteers.
                    But I am not sure if you have this book or not. If you have this book
                    please let me know its cost. After that, I will fax my credit card
                    number
                    to you.

                    yours sincerely

                    Tzungkuen Wen

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
                      Dear Tzungkuen,

                      My impression is that they deal only with bookdealers not with individuals.
                      So you may have to order through a bookshop. I am having the same
                      difficulties.

                      Sukhi

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
                        Dear Piya

                        I contact with the Academy which originally published CPD, and it reply me as follows
                        --------------------------

                        Dear Tzungkuen Wen,

                        A Critical Pali Dictionary is still being published, but no longer by our Academy. In order to buy the Dictionary and to get answers to your questions you should contact
                        GAD Direct, att. Ulla Mehlsen, Fiolstr疆de 31-33, DK-1171 Copenhagen K, Denmark. Tel: +45 33 12 72 33. E-mail: info@....

                        Yours sincerely,
                        Bjarne Stavnshoj
                        Academy Secretariat

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 30, 2003
                          Dear Tzungkuen,

                          Perhaps it is wise to contact them directly. I'm not sure if the Mahamakut
                          Buddhist Bookshop in Phra Sumern Rd outside Wat Boworn still carry them. I
                          used to get my fascicles from them.

                          Thanks for the info.

                          Sukhi

                          P.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                            The address suppose to be www.munksgaarddirect.dk but it has been closed down.
                            This dict and new PED has nothing to be a good dict for some reasons.
                            1.The writer didn't consult any tran in tradional theravada country language for all pali texts.Grammar text explantion has not been used.Burmese,sinhala centries old nissaya are totally ignored by these europeans.
                            2.Pali texts are not enough -Pali tika and atthayojana ,ganthipada have not been consulted .Like Jataka tika,ganthipada which explain difficult noun.
                            3.They prefer a sanskrit meaning instead of Pali version.

                            Ttzungkuen Wen <tzungkuen@...> wrote:
                            Dear Piya

                            I contact with the Academy which originally published CPD, and it reply me as follows
                            --------------------------

                            Dear Tzungkuen Wen,

                            A Critical Pali Dictionary is still being published, but no longer by our Academy. In order to buy the Dictionary and to get answers to your questions you should contact
                            GAD Direct, att. Ulla Mehlsen, Fiolstr��de 31-33, DK-1171 Copenhagen K, Denmark. Tel: +45 33 12 72 33. E-mail: info@....

                            Yours sincerely,
                            Bjarne Stavnshoj
                            Academy Secretariat

                            Piya Tan
                            wrote:
[...]

                            To:
                            abartsch@...
                            cc:
                            Ordering a book
                            Ttzungkuen Wen

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 1, 2003
                              Dear Ong Teng Kee

                              Thanks alot for your information, especially the comment on CPD.

                              Regarding to the question how to get CPD, Dr. Primoz give me the following info.

                              Dear Tzungkuen,
                              I got some info from a friend of mine who is a very good librarian - here it is
                              Best wishes

                              Hi Primoz

                              I did a quick check and Amazon.com can supply it (maybe?). They say they

                              can ship it in 24 hours?

                              http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y01Y1933578Y3489332/qid=1064895914/sr=1-1/103-5424697-3045403#details

                              I remember when I was going to try to buy it I wrote to the address in

                              the front of the latest issue and it was available directly from them,

                              maybe CPD is not available through Harrassowitz because Harrassowitz is

                              such a rip-off with mark-ups on the price.

                              If this solution doesn't work, please let me know and I'll hunt some

                              more.

                              There is also a copy listed on

                              www.abe.com

                              a marketplace for second hand books, but suspiciously the price is the

                              same, so I think they are just pretending to have a second hand copy but

                              will supply it from the publisher ...

                              Royce