Re: [Pali] RE: kamma and grace

  • Lennart Lopin
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 4 11:09 PM
      Dear Danya,

      On your interesting thesis we even had a small discussion here among
      friends. Actually, before you came up with your "working thesis" on grace,
      we automatically thought of the (christian) concept of grace in a buddhist
      context and couldnt bring them together in any way (especially thinking of
      grace in a protestant context - it is sooo apart from the Buddhist point of
      view - none taking responsibility for your actions other than you. Yourself
      the one who eventually has to cross the stream, albeit taking the help of
      other kalyana mittas.)

      I understand now, that you try to explain the Buddhas to be special
      embodiements of the Dhamma, especially in a sense that they possess for
      instance the 10 powers and have accumulated sila, samadhi and panna during
      inamaginable long aeons - thus they would be kind of a "representative
      reality" (sic) who - because of their "grace" convey or "bestow" the dhamma
      on other beings even though they are murderers like Angulimala.

      Well, i think that the term, as it is so bound up with some of the most
      contrary concepts to Buddhist thought (as Yong Peng pointed out) and
      Angulimala in fact (as Nina pointed out) was already "under the surface"
      ready for understanding the dhamma, that it will be very difficult (to say
      the least) to come to terms with it in a Buddhist (tipitaka) context.

      That said, i wish you much luck for solving this task, but i am curious to
      know, how you came to relate so diverse ideas to each other?

      kind regards,

      Lennart

      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 4 11:36 PM
        Grace is a concept that arises with in theistic context. Grace is given by
        god, though there is nothing we do to deserve it. Quite the contrary, being
        sinners, we do not.

        >Dr Masefield's work has received
        >high regards throughout buddhist circles.

        Masefield's book is generally regarded by Buddhologists as eccentric, which
        it is.
      • Everett Thiele
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 5 1:41 AM
          Hi everyone,

          Offhand two main points of contact occur to me between Buddhism and
          "Grace". I'm not sure how theologically correct these are, but they
          might be worth looking at.

          1) In the Pali Canon and in stories such as in the Dhp-a the act of
          putting faith in the Buddha is often enough for someone to get a
          heavenly rebirth. This sounds a lot like the Christian idea of faith
          being salvific. The difference would be that Christianity sees heaven
          as the end of the line, whereas Buddhism sees it as a state from
          which a being eventually falls.

          I haven't checked the Angulimala Sutta, but IIRC he gains this sort
          of faith to begin with. He then, of course, goes on to become an
          Arahant.

          2) Pure Land Buddhism goes further and allows for faith in Amitabha
          to enable one to be reborn in a heavenly realm as a non-returner.
          This sounds, on the surface of it, to be very much based on 'other
          power' like in Christianity, and to be fully salvific even in
          Buddhist terms.

          I'm not sure, but perhaps this 'Pure Land' is related to the sorts of
          very high heavens which can be attained by advanced meditators in the
          Pali tradition. I'd be very interested in hearing if this has been
          studied.

          best regards,

          --Rett
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 5 4:17 AM
            Dear Everett, Bruce, Lennart and friends,

            thanks. As much as I know about Pure Land school, there are some
            differences. Anagamis have worked diligently on the path to reach the
            stage of non-returners. Beings reborn in pure lands may not have
            reached the stage of anagami yet, however pure land is a place where
            no new kamma would be created, hence achieving the result of non-
            returning.

            Furthermore, the heavenly realm anagamis reside in is still within
            the samsaric realm, which is a result of the collective karma of all
            sentient beings in that realm/world. A pure land, on the other hand,
            is a result of a Buddha's past vows. Amitabha's past vows was to
            construct such a pure land. Shakyamuni's past vows was to reach out
            to the beings in samsara.

            Unlike a heavenly realm where beings enjoy the fruits of their good
            karma (in Buddhist teachings), a pure land is a more conducive place
            than samsara for beings to practice till they reach nibbana.

            metta,
            Yong Peng

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Everett Thiele wrote:
            > 2) Pure Land Buddhism goes further and allows for faith in Amitabha
            > to enable one to be reborn in a heavenly realm as a non-returner.
            > This sounds, on the surface of it, to be very much based on 'other
            > power' like in Christianity, and to be fully salvific even in
            > Buddhist terms.
            >
            > I'm not sure, but perhaps this 'Pure Land' is related to the sorts
            of very high heavens which can be attained by advanced meditators in
            the Pali tradition. I'd be very interested in hearing if this has
            been studied.
          • Brian Tawney
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 5 10:31 AM
              > Grace is a concept that arises with in theistic context. Grace is given by
              > god, though there is nothing we do to deserve it. Quite the contrary,
              being
              > sinners, we do not.

              I have heard this definition of grace, but I find it difficult to unravel.
              Having married a Christian, I have learned that her church believes grace is
              only given to those who practice Christianity correctly. In other words,
              God (in the person of Christ) came into the world to teach how salvation
              might be attained, but salvation must still be earned through individual
              effort in the form of correct practice. Is this what is called "grace"?

              The Buddha came into the world to teach how nibbana might be attained, but
              nibbana must still be earned through individual effort in the form of
              correct practice. Is this what is called "compassion"?

              To my inexperienced mind, if there is something in the Christian idea of
              "God's grace" that is not in the Buddhist idea of "Buddha's compassion", it
              is that God created salvation, whereas the Buddha discovered nibbana. On
              the other hand, Christians believe that God created everything else as well,
              and Buddhists (as far as I know) simply don't address the question of why
              reality should be so constructed that we can escape samsara.

              If I have said anything someone knows to be wrong, let me know. This is one
              of many topics I regularly come across in discussions with my wife.

              Thank you.
              Brian.
              (new to the group)
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5 12:21 PM
                Dear Brian,

                I am afraid not so. Although, the Buddha taught out of compassion
                (unconditional love), nibbana is not a physical location where there
                is an archangel guarding the gates to determine whether you have met
                the criteria to enter. Nibbana is a state which only one who have
                reached it can truly experience it, but there are of course many
                books that try to explain it. The Buddhist experience and knowledge
                is far much beyond the scope that the Christian doctrine can grasp.
                This is a philosophical difference.

                Buddhists do not practise to earn Buddha's compassion to reach
                nibbana, Christians practise to earn God's grace to enter heaven. The
                relationship between Buddha and Buddhists is teacher and students,
                while that of God and Christians is master and servants. This is a
                theological difference. In fact, without the concept of creation in
                Hinduism, Taoism or Judaism, Buddhism is not even a theology.

                metta,
                Yong Peng

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Brian Tawney wrote:
                The Buddha came into the world to teach how nibbana might be
                attained, but nibbana must still be earned through individual effort
                in the form of correct practice. Is this what is called "compassion"?
              • rjkjp1
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5 4:48 PM
                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Everett Thiele <rett@t...> wrote:

                  > 1) In the Pali Canon and in stories such as in the Dhp-a the act
                  of
                  > putting faith in the Buddha is often enough for someone to get a
                  > heavenly rebirth. This sounds a lot like the Christian idea of
                  faith
                  > being salvific. The difference would be that Christianity sees
                  heaven
                  > as the end of the line, whereas Buddhism sees it as a state from
                  > which a being eventually falls.
                  > ________________
                  Dear Everett,
                  I think a difference between most religions and Buddhism is that the
                  Buddha taught any attachment, even to him, is unwholesome.
                  The mind states which condition rebirth in deva realms are kusala
                  and all kusala cittas arise together with saddha. However faith - in
                  its normal usage - may include kusala confidence in the virtues of
                  the Buddha but it may also include attachment. Lobhamula citta
                  (mindstate rooted in attachment) cannot directly condition rebirth
                  in a heavenly realm.
                  Once the Buddha scolded Vakkali for his attachment to Buddha:
                  Yo kho Vakkali dhammam passati so mam passati Vakkali
                  whoever sees Dhamma, sees me [the Buddha]
                  RobertK
                • nina van gorkom
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 6 10:30 AM
                    Dear Yong Peng and friends,
                    op 05-09-2003 13:17 schreef Ong Yong Peng op ypong001@...:
                    Beings reborn in pure lands may not have
                    > reached the stage of anagami yet, however pure land is a place where
                    > no new kamma would be created, hence achieving the result of non-
                    > returning.
                    N: According to the Theravada tradition, anagamis still perform kamma which
                    bring result. We read in Buddhist Dictionary, Ven. Nyanatiloka: <Now, a
                    being through the disappearing of the five lower fetters (sa.myojana)
                    reappears in a higher world (amongs the devas of the 'pure abodes'
                    suddhaavaasa) and without returning from that world (into the Sensuous
                    Spere) he there reaches Nirvana> Thus, he is not reborn in a sensuous plane,
                    but still performs kamma in that higher plane.
                    Only the arahat does not perform any new kamma, although he still receives
                    results of former kammas for the remainder of his lifespan. That is why the
                    arahat has, instead of kusala citta, mahaakiriyacitta. Kiriyacitta is
                    inoperative, it does not bring result.
                    Y: Furthermore, the heavenly realm anagamis reside in is still within
                    > the samsaric realm, which is a result of the collective karma of all
                    > sentient beings in that realm/world.
                    N: I have heard the word collective kamma before, but we read in the Suttas
                    time and again that the Buddha explained that beings are heirs to their own
                    kamma, kamma is the womb from which they are born. Kammassakata ~naa.na,
                    knowing kamma as one's own (saka) is clearly seen by insight knowledge,
                    vipassana ~naa.na. According to Theravada tradition there is no collective
                    kamma. This makes sense to me, because kamma is accumulated by each
                    individual in the cycle, va.t.ta. Kamma is mental, it is intention, and thus
                    it can be accumulated from moment to moment, from life to life.
                    There are people who are born in a country where there is hunger and war, or
                    people who are together in a accident. It may seem that they receive the
                    same result, but in reality this is not so. There are different moments of
                    pain, seeing, hearing, all results of kamma. A person may feel the pain of
                    hunger but the next moment he may hear a pleasant sound. All different
                    moments of vipaka and they cannot be the same for a group of people. There
                    are also different intensities of vipaka.
                    Instead of thinking of a whole situation of people, or groups of people who
                    receive vipaka, we should analyse different moments of citta, then we come
                    closer to reality. People react differently to the result they receive. Some
                    people react with kusala citta, others with aversion, with akusala citta.
                    The reason is that people have accumulated different inclinations, and
                    different defilements, kilesas. In the commentary it is explained that there
                    are three cycles: the cycle of kamma, the cycle of vipaka and the cycle of
                    kilesa. Kilesa motivates again kamma and this produces again vipaka and this
                    conditions again kilesa, and so we go on and on. Thus the three cycles keep
                    turning around in our lives.
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 6 2:24 PM
                      Dear Nina and friends,

                      thanks for everything, Nina. You are right about collective kamma, it
                      is commonly used in Mahayana schools, and a search on collective
                      karma will reveal that. I cannot for sure determine if the usage of
                      the word is more of a convenience, but I have the idea it appears in
                      Mahayana sutras.

                      I totally agree on the explanation you have given on the Theravada
                      perspective. And I apologise for my lack of knowledge and any
                      confusion due to that. Browsing the web, I have found what Sayadaw U
                      Silananda wrote on this topic:

                      One more thing that should not be applied to the doctrine of kamma is
                      the idea of mass kamma or collective kamma. There is no operation of
                      a collective kamma affecting a group of people. There may be, however
                      a group of people who do something together and who get the results
                      of their individual kamma together. In that case, the results of each
                      individual kamma is operating.

                      http://www.mahindarama.com/e-library/volition4.html

                      metta,
                      Yong Peng