Re: [Pali] Re: introduction to pali

  • m. nease
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31, 2003
      Dear Evertt and Nina,

      I'm not a paali scholar but this seems to me somewhat like a crossword
      puzzle--a total dead end, but when you come back to it--eureka.

      mike

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
        Dear June,

        I'm just reading your message and responses now -
        having been away for a couple of weeks. As others
        have already said, do not give up. Learning Pali takes
        some persistence.

        Personally I found Warder a little daunting as a
        starting self-teaching tool, and so I worked through
        two other books first - de Silva's "Pali Primer", and
        Gair/Karunatillake's "New course in Reading Pali". I
        would recommend something similar. I am now working
        through Warder and finding it much more manageable,
        and as Nina said, my answers to the exercises are
        being posted to this group, and indeed I am up to
        chapter 6 with the posts.

        Please don't hesitate to ask me or the group if you
        have specific questions, and we will do our best to
        help. Remember: there is no such thing as a dumb
        question.

        Metta,
        John

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • nina van gorkom
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
          Dear John,
          so glad you are back, we have been waiting for you!
          Nina

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
            Dear Nina and John,

            sure we are. :-)

            metta,
            Yong Peng

            > Dear John,
            > so glad you are back, we have been waiting for you!
            > Nina
            > op 02-09-2003 17:09 schreef John Kelly op palistudent@y...:
            >
            > > Dear June,
            > >
            > > I'm just reading your message and responses now -

          • june_tg
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 3, 2003
              dear john,

              that's very kind of you. thanks for the encouragement.

              june
            • John Kelly
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 4, 2003
                Dear Nina and Yong Peng,

                You are very kind! I miss this group when I'm away.

                Warmly,
                John

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com