Re: [Pali] question about monk, gold and money in Vinaya

  • cbn
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
      Ven Sir,
      anumodana.

      selamat
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Piya Tan" <libris@...>
      To: <Pali@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 10:41 PM
      Subject: Re: [Pali] question about monk, gold and money in Vinaya

      > Dear Selamat,
      >
      > Here is my paper (used in my sutta classes). Hope it helps you. However it
      > is copyrighted.
      >
      > BTW "Selamat" in Malay and Bahasa Indonesia means "safe" as in "Selamat
      > Pagi" (Good morning), "Selamat Jalan" (Bon Voyages), etc.
      >
      > Sukhi.
      >
      > Piya

      I'd
      > > > take the chance to ask for help with a passage in the HC Norman
      edition
      > > > that I've found puzzling. I can't make any sense of it as it stands,
      > > > but a very slight change seems to make all the pieces of the puzzle
      > > > fall together. If anyone else here is interested, I'd be happy to
      > > > receive feedback on it.
      > > >
      > > > Norman, H.C. (ed), _The Commentary on the Dhammapada_, PTS, 1970
      > > >
      > > > Vol I, Page 48, lines 11-13
      > > >
      > > > The context is that a female deer (migii) has just had her three
      > > > offspring eaten by her nemesis in the form of a female leopard
      > > > (diipinii). Here's the relevant part of the text as it stands in
      Norman:

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2003
        Dear all anumodana,
        recently i do have a serious discussion on this matter with many Theravadan
        monks in Indonesia. pro and cons arose, should greatly appreciate if you
        could give some info when i will ask you some info next time.

        muditacittena,
        selamat

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2003
          Dear Piya,

          I have received your paper of "Monastic and Money" in my email.
          Thank you very much for your help.
          But I have some confusion about the fonts that you mentioned in our
          groups mail. Is "Times Norman" same with "Times New Roman" ? If it
          isn't, can you help me from what websites I can install it ?

          Sukhi,

          Sese

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Piya Tan" <libris@s...> wrote:
          > Dear Group,
          >
          > Those who have requested for the paper of "Monastics and Money" and
          received
          > it, please note that you have to install "Times Norman" fonts in
          your
          > computer so that all the Pali words read correctly.
          >
          > Sukhi

          Vinaya

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2003
            Dear Sese, Piya and friends,

            the Norman fonts can be downloaded here:
            http://jbe.gold.ac.uk/pali/fonts/

            For PC users, the file is tm-norm.zip.
            For Mac users, the file is norm_sea.hqx

            Times Norman fonts is different from Times New Roman fonts. It was
            created by professor Norman to display romanised pali fonts with
            diacritics.

            metta,
            Yong Peng

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2003
              Dear Sese,

              You need both.

            • selamat@dsgb.or.id
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 2003
                Ven. Piya,
                I'm sorry,
                My name is Selamat from Dhamma Study Group Bogor.
                You just send me the file from other address. anumodana.

                selamat

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2003
                  Dear Yong Peng,

                  Your information very helpful for me.