Re: R: [Pali] Pali Word by Word 2003/31 [018]

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003
      Dear Yong Peng and Mario,
      Yes, rejoice, approve. Now we have the form abhinandunti: the aorist
      abhinandum+ti. This ti maybe from iti? Emphatic.
      The te could be translated: those monks...Demonstrative,not just the article
      the.
      Nina.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2003
        Dear Nina, Mario and friends,

        thanks very much.

        DN2 Samaññaphala Sutta CSCD253/PTS1.85
        Attamanaa te bhikkhuu bhagavato bhaasita.m abhinandunti.
        delighted / those / monks / of the Blessed One / saying / rejoiced at
        Those delighted monks rejoiced at the saying of the Blessed One.

        attamana (adj.) delighted.
        bhikkhu (m.) monk.
        bhagavato (gen. of bhagavant) of the Blessed One.
        bhaasita (n.) saying.
        abhinandum (aorist 3rd per. plural) rejoiced at; were
        pleased/delighted with.
        abhinandunti = abhinandum+iti : they rejoiced at; were
        pleased/delighted with (emphatic).

        metta,
        Yong Peng