Aggikkhandhopama - para.5

    Message 1 of 54 , Aug 2, 2003
      Dear Dimitry and friends,

      here is Aggikkhandhopama paragraph 5:

      "Ta.m ki.m maññatha, bhikkhave katama.m nu kho vara.m –
      it / what / (you) think / monks / which / now / now / better
      "What do you think, monks? Which is better?

      ya.m balavaa puriso da.lhaaya vaala-rajjuyaa ubho ja'nghaa ve.thetvaa
      gha.mseyya –
      whether / strong / man / firm / with horse-hair rope / both /
      calves / having twisted around / (if) would rub
      If a strong man, having twisted a firm horse-hair rope around both
      calves, were to rub,

      balavantu (adj.) powerful.
      purisa (m.) man, person.
      da.lha (adj.) firm; strong; steady.
      vaalarajju (f.) vaala+rajju : rope made from hair of horse tail.
      ubho (numeral) both.
      ja'nghaa (f.) calf of the leg.
      ve.thetvaa (gerund of ve.theti) having wrapped; twisted around.
      gha.mseyya (optative of gha.mseti) if he would rub, knock against.

      saa chavi.m chindeyya chavi.m chetvaa camma.m chindeyya camma.m
      chetvaa ma.msa.m chindeyya
      that (the rope) / outer skin / would cut / outer skin / having cut
      off / under-skin / would cut / under-skin / having cut off / flesh /
      would cut
      (so that) the rope cut the skin, and having cut the skin it cut the
      under-skin, and having cut the under-skin it cut the flesh,

      saa (dem. pronoun) that.
      chavi (f.) the outer skin.
      chindeyya (optative of chindati) if it would cut.
      chetvaa (gerund of chindati) having cut off.
      camma (n.) skin; hide; leather.
      ma.msa (n.) flesh.

      ma.msa.m chetvaa nhaaru.m chindeyya nhaaru.m chetvaa a.t.thi.m
      chindeyya a.t.thi.m chetvaa a.t.thimiñja.m aahacca ti.t.theyya,
      flesh / having cut off / sinew / would cut / sinew / having cut off /
      bone / would cut / bone / having cut off / marrow / removable / if
      remains
      and having cut the flesh it cut the sinew, and having cut the sinew
      it cut the bone, and having cut the bone it left the marrow exposed?

      nhaaru [also nahaaru] (m.) sinew, tendon.
      a.t.thi (n.) bone.
      a.t.thimiñjaa (f.) marrow of the bone.
      aahacca (adj.) removable.
      ti.t.theyya (optative of ti.t.thati) if it remains.

      ya.m vaa khattiya-mahaasaalaana.m vaa braahma.na-mahaasaalaana.m vaa
      gahapati-mahaasaalaana.m vaa abhivaadana.m saadiyeyyaa"ti?
      that / or / from rich kshatriyas / or / from rich brahmins / or /
      from rich householders / or / would enjoy / (end-quote)
      Or, to derive enjoyment from the homage of rich kshatriyas, or rich
      brahmins, or rich householders?"mahaasaala (adj.) having immense
      wealth.

      abhivaadana (n.) salutation.
      saadiyeyyaa (optative of saadiyati) if he would accept; enjoy.

      "Etadeva, bhante, vara.m –
      this / venerable Sir / better
      "This, venerable Sir, is surely the better:

      ya.m khattiya-mahaasaalaana.m vaa braahma.na-mahaasaalaana.m vaa
      gahapati-mahaasaalaana.m vaa abhivaadana.m saadiyeyya,
      that / from rich kshatriyas / or / from rich brahmins / or / from
      rich householders / or / would enjoy
      To derive enjoyment from the homage of rich kshatriyas, or rich
      brahmins, or rich householders.

      dukkhañheta.m, bhante, ya.m balavaa puriso da.lhaaya vaala-rajjuyaa …
      pe… a.t.thimiñja.m aahacca ti.t.theyyaa"ti.
      for it would be painful / venerable Sir / that which / strong / man /
      firm / with horse-hair rope / …and so on… / marrow / removable / if
      remains / (end-quote)
      For it would be painful, venerable Sir, that a strong man, with a
      firm hair-rope …… having the marrow exposed."

      I have uploaded the paragraph here:
      http://www.tipitaka.net/tipitaka/strans/stransload.php?page=an07-
      068s05

      metta,
      Yong Peng
      Message 54 of 54 , Mar 5, 2004
        Dear Piya and Nina,

        thanks. I'll include both alternate sentences in the page.

        metta,
        Yong Peng

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Piya Tan wrote:
        Re-translating from the Thai, it could be rendered, "In that case,"
        which is more general and applicable to most situations.

        In that case, maharajah, please speak. [contemporary rendition]